Disco II TD5 - Rear ACE Actuator

Def90

Hi All,

My Disco has been experiencing a bit of a wobble for a while. Wondered whether this might be the Watts linkage or play in the anti roll bars. As there was no "clunk" or noticable wear in the bushes I took the easy option and I have fitted a new set of shocks all round (Terrafirma) but whilst doing this had a crawl under the car and noticed the rear ACE actuator is covered in soil from the years the old girl has been on the road and this soil looked damp (to a lesser extent, so was the soil on the rear axle). I cleaned it all off, but can't see any split in the gaiter or any noticeable weeping from the ACE actuator itself.

I haven't had the opportunity to fully road test the Disco since fitting the new shocks, so this may have done the trick, but if Paranoia prevails and I need to look at the ACE system, does anyone have any experiences of fault with the ACE system on the disco, should I need to replace the rear actuator, what sort of costs am I looking at and is this a DIY job, or will I need to get the system bleed using test book?

Any Thought appreciated

Cheers ;)

From my experience of about 6 D2s with ACE, leave well alone unless you are topping up regularly to stem a serious leak, getting the orange or red lights on the dash or the pump has seized.

It is possible to do a response test to see if all components are working but if you disturb/ undo any pipes, the system you will have to rebleed the system and that is a not a 10 minute job.

When it is working it is a great system but the pipes rust and electronic sensors have pressure and direction problems - when it goes wrong the cheapest option may be to have the system disabled.

Chris Bowler

I have a 2002 D2 with the rear ACE antirollbar still on and complete, just considering taking it off and putting a standard ARB on. We can some to an arrangement if you like (i.e. contribute to the new standard ARB and you can have my ACE one...).