Towing issue

Phil Hancock

:unsure:Disco 1 with a bit of a handling issue especially when towing, the best description is that the rear end is squishy or squirmy.

The tyres are 235/70 x 15" on BWA alloys running at 25F(all terrain), 35R(mud terrain). It has got new; std springs, oil front shocks, gas rear shocks, red genuine polybushes.

I am today going to up the rear tyre pressure to 40psi when the other half returns with it as this did help with a similar problem on my works van, but in that case i ended up at 65psi which was the max for the tyre casings.

Any ideas out there?,

I think I would leave the rear tyre pressures as they are and increase the front to about 28-30 psi.

Check that all the bolts holding the rear axle are tight, sometimes even half a turn can make a difference.

Check the rear axle A-frame ball joint and the bushes from the A-frame onto the chassis.

It could be that the rear springs are not of the correct rating for your useage. If you can't find anything else wrong then try a pair of H/D springs on the rear to see what it feels like, they are only about £20 each. ;)

what state is the trailer in? soft tyres, dodgy suspension (if fitted) etc back there will give the appearance of problems with the car.

how about the loading of the trailer? is the nose weight about right? could the trailer be lifting the back of the disco on bumps making it seem to squirm? having heavy objects near the ends of the trailer rather than near the axles could also cause this.

sorry if this is a 'granny suck eggs' type post

The rear end still did not feel right even solo so spring rates and trailer loading dont really come into it. Also all the bushes(red polys) and the ball joint are new. But today i have swapped the tyres front to rear and put the pressures at 35F, 45R, what a difference :) . Now when you throw it round a corner and straighten out it does just that rather than squirm the ar*e to the outside and back to the inside before straightening out.

Before i posted i did suspect tyres but i thought lets see what others say. :blink:

Edited by BogMonster

Those pressures seem very high to me.

The correct pressures for 235x70R16 tyres are about: Front = 1.9 bar or 27 psi Rear = 2.4 bar or 34 psi.

If you're having to run at nearly 30% higher pressure than standard to get the handling then there maybe something wrong with the tyres themselves.

What make of tyres have you got fitted?

Are they remoulds?

Does each axle have the same make & tread type on both wheels?

How much tread is left on them?

Any signs of cracks in the sidewalls or tread?

Those pressures seem very high to me.

The correct pressures for 235x70R16 tyres are about: Front = 1.9 bar or 27 psi Rear = 2.4 bar or 34 psi.

If you're having to run at nearly 30% higher pressure than standard to get the handling then there maybe something wrong with the tyres themselves.

What make of tyres have you got fitted?

Are they remoulds?

Does each axle have the same make & tread type on both wheels?

How much tread is left on them?

Any signs of cracks in the sidewalls or tread?

Now Khumo MT on the front with a fair bit of tread, Enduro AT on the rear(new) all in good order. I will see how it is with the above pressueres next week end. :blink:

ahhh didnt realise you had the same problems solo. i seem to remember running silly high pressures in my tyres back when i had stock tyres. for much the same reasons too.

im now running 235/85s at 34f & 36r, i go lower for offroad but those pressures work best on road.