Been one of those days...

JeffR

Woke up this morning to find my new tyres had arrived, at last no more power sliding round wet roundabouts. So got em fitted, look really good too. Being in a particularly good mood after this , thought to myself, "lets put the new rear door on and sort the rattly exhaust".

Yeah, like that was gonna bloody happen.

Exhaust prob was nothing more than a loose clamp, give the bugger a wee tweek and TWANG, the bloody thing shears. Never mind got a spare in the garage, so I thought. Wrong, too bloody small, need a 3 inch one, wanders down to local garage, guess what, they aint got any that big. Job stopped, chucked tools in hedge, has a cup of tea.

Starts rear door. Notices that the wiper motor on the old door is wired differently to that of the new door, just swap the whole lot over, piece of cake. Big bloody nut on new door wiper motor had seized more solid than a solid thing. Bugger it, get the angle grinder and extension lead out. Flamin rodents in the garage have eaten all the insulation off the grinder cable. Re-wires grinder. Bloody extension cable has an earth fault and keeps triping the RCD. Has another cup of tea and borrows another extension cable. SWMBO comes back from the shop and runs over the cable. F*CK IT thinks I.

Buys next door a new extension cable, and removes offending nut. Swaps over numerous bits of wiper associated brackets and begins to feel a tadge happier with my lot. Tries to removes old door from vehicle, shears 5 out of six screws. Finds some "replacements" in the garage, too bloody short by about half inch (buggered if I know what they are off , but they looked like the correct ones...

Has another cup of tea. Finds some bolts to do a bodge job. Drops new door on me hand, no real damage, other than the kids have learnt some colorful new phrases...

Now starts to adjust the door so that it closes and finds that there is more wear in the door hinges than there is adjustment. Oh and the bloody door is now jammed solid. No amount of tapping/lifting/kicking/twatting with a block of wood will move the bloody thing, oh and the door stay is different as well.

I GIVE UP.

So as it stands, now got a Landrover where you can't open the rear door, an exhaust that is more wobbly than skip full of jelly and I've got to pick daughter number 1 up from work at 10pm.

So tomorrow "all" I have left to do is order new hinges, new door lock (and before anyone suggests that I swap the door lock, one of the reasons for changing the door, other than I happened to have a new one to had so to speak, was that the lock no longer locks.

Don't ya just love Landrovers

Blimey..and I thought I had bad days!

I did have an issue today when doing my swivel bushes. Took off the hub, half shaft and cv. Drifted out both the old bush/bearings then replaced with new, put most of it back together and thought "that stub shaft dont look right"....

Looked to my right and saw the half shaft and cv still sat there looking at me!!! :huh::huh:

Nice post - we have all had things go wrong like that I am sure, but not all at once... :D

Made a new brake pipe, but forgot to put the fittings on. :huh:

Yeah - everybody does that one: At least once a year in my case... :(

Made a new brake pipe, but forgot to put the fittings on.

Did that last week on an ML430. The downside was that it wasn't a case of just cutting a bit off the pipe and putting the fitting on. The pipe was then too short, so I had to replace the whole thing :(

Les.

Me to my 110's new bulk head and engine planned to be off the road for a few months is now a full rebuild with five brand new doors the lot.... So it not been cheap either

Loads of jobs have just ended up going round in circles.

Haha, started reading this and had to check it wasn't one of Nige's little escapades :lol:

I only note that SO FAR there has been no mention of human injury. Let's hope that will continue.

Yep, we do all get bad days, and they're frequently due to Landrover related problems. Yours just seem worse that mine... at the moment... and I've just had a server gone BSOD at work... waiting for it to reboot so I thought how about some LR4x4 therapy. I feel better already :D

Well, children, this is how it goes to date...

Had a flash of inspiration yesterday ( actually nipped out for a pint of Symnonds cider, that always helps) and aquired a set of hinge pins for the rear hinges at a huge cost of £2! And bugger me, all the slop has gone from the rear door. Made one good door lock out of two and managed to fit the wiper motor, did you know that the diameter of the wiper spindle is different on some motors, I didn't, do now though. So wires everything up and tries it out.

This time last week, when you used the rear wiper it self parked. Not now... Why? Nothing has been fiddled with. The earth is excellent, there's no new connections/connectors, it just refuses to self park. Oh and the washer is squirting jelly, seriously a clear gel issues from the washer jets.

WTF is going on there then. Has it developed a head cold, will Sinex help?

Never mind I thought lets fit the swing away wheel carrier (now that I own a spare that ain't a slick...). Now the bloody thing fitted quite well on the old Landrover, but not on this one. Oh and one of the pivots has seized solid and I can't dismantle it.

Never expected to see BSOD1 in a thread on here :)

1Blue Screen Of Death, What windows presents you with when it has thrown every last toy out of the pram.

Just had a look at some under a microscope, the majority of the gel appears to be fungal hyphae with a sprinkling of bacteria and some protozoans. Really makes me wonder about the quality of my tap water....

Never expected to read about protozoa in a thread on here :)

Then I won't mention the Rotifers that were also in there!.. Not to mention the Tardigrads that live in the moss growing on the side windows, beginning to thonk that this vehicle is a fully functioning ecosystem...

Ah but has it got dog hair in it? Fixed the rust on the bottom of the doors on my small hatchback. On a beautiful windless warm winter's day I put on the final coat of 2K clear. Just admiring my handiwork when out of nowhere my Labrador knocks me over backwards, spray gun goes flying. I untangle myself to see a line line of sticky dog hair embedded all down the side of the car.

On the screen washer blockage subject:

I had to take another look at the U/S windscreen washers on SWMBO's 4 yr old Corsa yesterday.

Previously I blasted an airline down the jets to clear the blockage, and normal operation resumed for me, but not the next time she went to use them.

Yesterday I disconnected all the pipes, blew them through - removed pump from reservoir - dunked it in a baked bean can full of water - all worked fine. Refit pump to reservoir and still no worky :angry:

Now when I removed the pump, no fluid leaked from the tank. It definitely had juice in,(quite easy to see the nice clean blue tinted liquid), so I started thinking about the tank being gunked up.

The pump is a press fit in a small rubber grommet, which it turned out was also a filter Having eased out this filter, the contents of the tank poured out onto the drive.

The filter:

post-7124-0-33944800-1314600203_thumb.jpg

I noticed on the tarmac some slimey looking stuff, thought to myself, yup that must have been the blockage.

Slimey stuff:

post-7124-0-01032500-1314600205_thumb.jpg

The reservoir was very clean inside, so this slime must have been wrapped around the outside of the filter, clogging it most effectively.

The degree of sliminess made me think it was some kind of live organism.

Over to you biology expects :P