Painting a Galv'd chassis....

Drizz

Im sure this has been covered a thousand times but as i need to order the bits tonight or first thing in the morning im hoping to get a quick response...

Ive read i need to wash it down with washing up liquid, then apply T wash, then a Zinc Primer, then paint. Is this correct? Can anyone confirm how they did theyres and if its lasted?

Thanks all......

Done a galv rear crossmember (front & back) with 1 coat Jotun Penguard HB and 1 coat Jotun Hardtop xp black. No prep except dust & degrease, and it has survived 12 months with no apparent ill effect, still looks new after a jetwash. I know 2 pack is a PITa to use, but I think if I had a whole chassis to do I'd live with it as you only do it once. Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to invade this thread but I'm going to be painting mine in 2 weeks, would hammerite special metals primer to as good a job as etch primer?

I have lots of hammerite special metals primer and smooth black sitting at home :D

Thanks, Harry

I've used this on my galvanised rock sliders over past 5 years and it works well and is easy to apply.

The only issue with painting galvanised parts is that the paint chips fairly easily in areas of contact like sidebars and chassis. Personally for the chassis, I'd use something like Dinitrol 4941 underbody wax. It goes straight on to galvanised finishes and dries to a hard very durable finish that lasts better than paint.

Cheers

Steve