Door Gap

Does anyone know what the door gap between the rear tub and the bulkhead on a 1995 300tdi 90.

My Defender is going back together and I have just noticed that the gap is just over ¼” larger on one side. Do I adjust the bulkhead or the rear tub ?.

I know that the tolerance is not that great even when they are new and I have seen a size somewhere but where I don’t know.

Regards

Frax :o

You make the adjustment at the bulkhead, there is no adjustment with the rear tub but you can move the bulkhead quite easily. This is why it is not worth tightening up all the fixings until every body panel has been fitted as there is bound to be some adjustment required.

Your rear body wants to be true with the rear cross member otherwise it won't sit right accross the vehicle at the B Pillar. You can get penny washers to adjust the mouting with the bulkhead outriggers and from memory the braces from the bulkhead to chassis legs are all slotted for adjustment.

Rob

I did measure it all up as it was going together and they were both the same gap so fitted the seat box and support at floor lever from tub to bulkhead. It was all going well I thought till I want to fit the gear box tunnel, I then noticed it did not sit quite right so measured again and found that something had moved. I will loosen it all again and try and re-adjust.

Is there a set measurement for the gap ?

Frax ;)

Well adjusted it today and set the gap at 882mm bottom and top of tub which should give 5mm - 7mm for door seal but will adjust again when I get round to fitting the doors.

Thank you for all the replies.

Regards

Frax ;)

Hi Frax,

On my 90 Rebuild with a new chassis (Richards) and new bulkhead I discovered nearly a 18mm difference between the bulkhead to the front edeg of the tub.

Doubting that the new items could be the problem I discovered that the tub was nearly a 18mm longer on the drivers side to the passenger side :o

I really couldn't believe such tolerances could be acceptable or existed! (how could a production line build with such tolerances?)

In the end I had to take 18mm off the bulkhead tube on the drivers side to give it the extra room it needed.

Oh how my father smugly told me "Thats Land Rovers son" :(

G :)

For F sake thats not a tolarance or not in my mind anyway. I did know that they were bad but not that bad.

I will need to measure my tub now just out of interest when I get home (away for two weeks)

Regards

Frax ;)