HELP! no high or low ratio but diff lock ok

neil01

Hi All,

hope you can help with this (im sure you can!!). apologies if this isnt in the right section but i only have til sunday PM to afternoon to try and get this sorted or use other means of transport.

i was driving home on the A1 and as i came to traffic i applied the brake and this god awful rattling noise started. then i lost power to the wheels. The engine was still running fine.

got to the side of the road and checked underneath but could not see any dumped oil or bits etc.

got back in (engine still idling) , put it in gear and tried to move forward in low ration...nothing

all i get in high or low ration (when in gear) is a rattling or banging type noise. when i slip it back out of gear and apply the hand brake, the noise stops.

I put the diff lock on in high ratio and was able to drive, i managed to get the disco home.

i had called out a recovery service who loaded me onto his flatbed. he said when i was driving up the flat bed, with the diff on, that the front wheels started spinning to get traction but the rear did not.

any help would be great and is this going to be expensive.

any link to other threads would be good thanks.

thanks in advance and apologies again, but i need answers quick.

Neil

As you say the front was spinning, this points to something in the rear broken. Either a shaft or the diff its self.

If it was me, I would jack the rear axle up one side at a time (to stop the oil coming out), and pull each shaft out one by one.

If they are complete you know that the shafts are OK and that its the diff that has failed.

As you say the front was spinning, this points to something in the rear broken. Either a shaft or the diff its self.

If it was me, I would jack the rear axle up one side at a time (to stop the oil coming out), and pull each shaft out one by one.

If they are complete you know that the shafts are OK and that its the diff that has failed.

the noise itself seems to be coming from the front. there was a loud rattling coming from,what seemed like, just in front of the drivers footwell........not sure if this was down to vibration at all...?

i will check the rear tomorrow.

thanks for the reply.

Yuo have knackered the rear diff in fine style. Probably bearings have disintegrated on the pinion shaft causing to much play in the pinion allowing it to slip relative to the crown wheel. This will no doubt have knocked some teeth off the crown wheel and wreaked havoc in your diff... Find a nice second hand one and replace the whole diff unit and off to go again. You are a bit far away as I have a nice 200 tdi disco diff in the shed!

thanks.

if i removed the rear prop and covered the hole in the rear diff, would i be able to drive it whilst i have the diff lock on?

this obviously would only be a very short term solution as i need to get to somewhere before i can get the diff replaced.

i have seen on another forum that someone has said they have driven with the front propshaft off.

IN theory yes.... BUT there may be quite a bit of internal damage in the diff with sheared teeth which in turn might jam a cross gear and seize the back axle at an inopportune moment. I have towed another landrover for 250 miles with a discovery with the front prop removed and the difflock engaged with no harm done. But my problem was a damaged UJ while the diff internals were fine.

I would not drive on that at all unless you take the prop and the rear shafts.

With the pinion bearing now basically non existant, there is the possibility of the pinion jamming the diff.

My front diff did the same last year. It only went about half a mile from my house thankfully, so I drove it back. But pulling onto the drive (gravel), it locked the front wheels!