Disco 2 High / low gears

stretch121

Oh dear oh dear, a D2 with a problem lol

Will start off by saying my knowledge is pretty basic but i get there in the end so be gentle with me.

When i got my new to me and first landy in december last year i tried it all out as you would and noticed the high / low gear selector was pretty stiff, i assumed this was down to not really getting used as motor was prob just a road car.

I have engaged and used it once or twice since just to keep it mobile and on one occasion after using it it just kept slipping out of high when driving, may be down to not having it in correctly so stopped and re engaged.

Today however while sitting in Tesco car park waiting on SWMBO I got bored so started messing with stuff, moving seats popping off little covers etc then i thought id move the gear lever as not done it for a while.

What i noticed was it was very very easy to move this time just as mobile as the main gear selector and a lot smoother, even more of a supprise and more of a worry was the fact that i was able to drive the short distance home with High / neutral / low possition selected and at up to 40 mph.....( and no the engine / gearbox was not screaming for its life at me ) as you would expect when in different ratio due to speed that you need to travel.

So if anyone has encountered this before or has any idea what it might be id be greatfull for any advice / suggestions from all you experienced landy owners.

The Disco is a series 2 td5 manual 2000 plate, and a headache lol, waiting for insurance comp to get back to me about repair work that was not carried out correctly / full stop in feb this year and hope they will sort the steering pump too while they at it.

What i did notice tonight as well was a small amount of fluid on the floor near the rear axel and on the bottom of the car its self but as its a Land Rover i think this may just be normal and think been that way for a while.

I have covered 4000 + miles from getting it and will be giving it an oil change this week inc filters and also fuel filter, this is going to be done every 4 - 5k ish, prevention better and cheaper than a cure.

And can anyone tell me what the bar is that runs tight under the bottom of the factory fitted front bumper it is fitted with just 2 bolts each side, is it structural? as mine is just about there there is so much rust its almos all gone other than than its tip bloody top.

Long winded i know but more info the better, dont see the point in a vague post, cheers in advance fellas.

Regards,

Gareth.

Said i could be a bit slow, down to the mass of pain meds im on for the back....least the fact i cant do sod all gives me time to poke about on the web for ideas. Just recently got my first landy and love it should have done it sooner and have got some great ideas.

Once few bits done to the car its gonna be a solo trip, well me and one of my GSD's into france poss spain hopefully next year for a tester then get SWIMBO the little one and the 2 dogs, tentage sorted and get out and see some sights....this site is great and so addictive, already have plans to get a 110 or 90 to fit out not sure which yet but SWIMBO has no idea yet lol

Ref the diff cable would it be easy enough for a novice to fix?

You would be easier to get a good second hand one, and yes you could easily Change it with limited knowledge.

Or

You could push the boat out and fit a diff lock from a d1!!.

Ref the convo we had then, do i take it that D1's all had diff locks and only certain models of D2 had this option?

As i said carp memory lol.

So other than the cable what else would i need to re enable the diff lock on my D2?

And did you say you had all the parts required?

You don't need the d2 high low lever/ cable. You replace it all with the high low / difflock from a d1.

And yes if your is manual I will have all the parts you'll need.

message on way fella

Also local garage told me yesterday a new cable would be £138, or they had a second hand one for £30............big difference aint it.