Stuff you find in your truck.....

danebrewer

Hi all, Just thought I might start a fun topic, I bought a "new" LR90 (1984/5 vintage) a few months ago and there's been a radio sitting on the dash not pluged in I assumed it was junk, so today when I was clearing out the landy (it's been transfromed into a static tool chest as I have been sorting out the hubs and new doors), I decided to plug it in, and it worked! there's a thing, both speakers work, as does the CD player (kinda <_< actually the only station I seem to be able to get is Heart and sovreign, possibly radio 1, but I did junk the aerial as it wouldn't go down...... gonna have to get another methinks...) so I pressed the eject button on the Radio and got a free Kings of Leon CD! and further digging about in the carp in the footwells and dashboad, I found a 5p with my birth date on it!

so, anyone else found anything interesting in their new landys or found something they thought they lost?

when i bought my old previous defender i decided to give it a good clean out as it came off a farm and had hay,chicken feed,mud and allsorts in it,by the time i'd cleaned it all out i'd found 3 shotgun shells and 7 .22 bullets (all live)

When I bought my first Land Rover (a 1986 90) I noticed a clonking noise each time I braked or accelerated hard.

After a couple of unsuccessful sessions looking underneath for anything loose or worn, I eventually found the culprit - behind the drivers seat.

The PO has left a metal "spike" tool laying behind the seat (the sort of thing scaffolders use to line up bolt holes).

Over the years, it's become my favorite and most useful Land Rover tool!

5.56 rounds, both live and empty casings!

hi all,now that the subject has come up, i removed the grab handle on the passenger sie to work on the water jets for the windscreen and found all the manufacturers details showing me registration year, colour codes , partnumbers alsorts of stuff, was this common practice by landrover, dd

While I took mine apart for the re-build, I found some rather curious glass capsuals, - ended up finding out they where a prescription stimulant for people who had that condition where they fall asleep!!! - and to add to the strange substance theme I then found a stash of grannies special tobbaco! I've never smoked anything in my life so I thought I'd put it on the fire and share it with the rest of the village! ;)

I got a brand new massive Maglite torch with my first Defender that I found under the drivers seat

With this one the owner flung in 4 Bose waterproof speakers that he was going to fit, and it turns out they actually sound really good wired up to a decent head unit

hi all,now that the subject has come up, i removed the grab handle on the passenger sie to work on the water jets for the windscreen and found all the manufacturers details showing me registration year, colour codes , partnumbers alsorts of stuff, was this common practice by landrover, dd

Yes, most moulded plastic parts will have a date wheel. Usually the year in the centre and then the month of manufacture indicated by a dot around the outside. The steering wheel plastic centre insert is one that definitely does.

I found 26p in the dash of my Series III when I took it apart, therefore officially it only cost me £49.74 :)

Closest I found to that was the date of manufacture of the wiring loom. There's also a sticker with a similar date inside the dash behind the radio.

8VcAAl.jpg

Apart from that, no shocking discoveries yet.

Yes, most moulded plastic parts will have a date wheel. Usually the year in the centre and then the month of manufacture indicated by a dot around the outside. The steering wheel plastic centre insert is one that definitely does.

I found 26p in the dash of my Series III when I took it apart, therefore officially it only cost me £49.74 :)

hi, the info i found were printed on two sheets of a4 paper, a load of info about my truck,manufactuered 1986 first reg 1987, trident green,ect, dd

when i bought my old previous defender i decided to give it a good clean out as it came off a farm and had hay,chicken feed,mud and allsorts in it,by the time i'd cleaned it all out i'd found 3 shotgun shells and 7 .22 bullets (all live)

I also found a large amount .22's and a full box of 28gm shotgun shells, few £1 coins, a new TD5 fan belt and a live pistol in the ECU box! God knows what the previous owners were like :ph34r:

btw, the pistol is now in the hands of the police! :)

I also found a large amount .22's and a full box of 28gm shotgun shells, few £1 coins, a new TD5 fan belt and a live pistol in the ECU box! God knows what the previous owners were like :ph34r:

btw, the pistol is now in the hands of the police! :)

i take it if the motor breaks down you wont be approaching the previous owners demanding a refund :ph34r:

Many moons ago, in the early 80's my Dad found a 9/16 spanner inside the front chassis leg of his first landy when it required a dumb iron replacement. :o He is not aware of any chassis work previously being done so hopes it was a 'factory fitted extra'. Still has the spanner, is the only one he hasn't misplaced over the years. :lol: His LandRover special tool :)

I had to remove various used hyperdemic needles, some with caps some without. After finding the first a VERY carefully search was made for more. Various bits of tin foil, matches, stanley knife blades were also found. Explained why the previous owner wanted a quick sale for cash. The needles went into a sharps box a friend has for work the rest in the bin.

Disposal of any ammunition found is now a very grey area, several years ago possession was made a criminal offence in itself, the why you have possession being possible another crime or reflected in the sentencing. Walking into a Police station to hand in ammo or a firearm may well result in an arrest, conviction and criminal record. You would like to think discretion is used and in the case of items obviously found and handed in in good faith no further action would be taken, unfortunately this is not always the case, generally if the cases ever do reach court (it has happened) the person is convicted (they WERE in possession therefore guilty) and then given an unconditional discharge, normally accompanied with a complaint from the judge to the CPS for wasting his time and there money on stupid cases.

Technically if anything is found it should be left where it is and a police officer called to remove the item. Realistically it is generally easiest to ring someone who shoots (legally) and hand it over for them to use or just destroy it (carefully!). For more valuable items (grandads old shotgun found in the loft type of thing) there is povision for an item to be handed into a firearms dealer who can then declare the item and after checks are made that it hasn't been stolen or used in crime then it can be entered into the legal registration system and then owned legally or sold, anything handed into the police will be kept and technically should be destroyed. There are literally 1000's of shotguns floating around which were not entered onto certificates in 84 85 when pump actions and semi auto shotguns were outlawed and all shotguns hand to be individually licences, the legislation was bought in following Hungerford where a semi auto rifle was used but most of the legislation that followed involved shotguns for some reason.

Disposal of any ammunition found is now a very grey area, several years ago possession was made a criminal offence in itself, the why you have possession being possible another crime or reflected in the sentencing. Walking into a Police station to hand in ammo or a firearm may well result in an arrest, conviction and criminal record. You would like to think discretion is used and in the case of items obviously found and handed in in good faith no further action would be taken, unfortunately this is not always the case, generally if the cases ever do reach court (it has happened) the person is convicted (they WERE in possession therefore guilty) and then given an unconditional discharge, normally accompanied with a complaint from the judge to the CPS for wasting his time and there money on stupid cases.

Technically if anything is found it should be left where it is and a police officer called to remove the item. Realistically it is generally easiest to ring someone who shoots (legally) and hand it over for them to use or just destroy it (carefully!). For more valuable items (grandads old shotgun found in the loft type of thing) there is povision for an item to be handed into a firearms dealer who can then declare the item and after checks are made that it hasn't been stolen or used in crime then it can be entered into the legal registration system and then owned legally or sold, anything handed into the police will be kept and technically should be destroyed. There are literally 1000's of shotguns floating around which were not entered onto certificates in 84 85 when pump actions and semi auto shotguns were outlawed and all shotguns hand to be individually licences, the legislation was bought in following Hungerford where a semi auto rifle was used but most of the legislation that followed involved shotguns for some reason.

Very true, I know a couple of folkes who have had problems when trying to hand stuff in to the police, these days most people just had stuff to me as I have a licence for most things :ph34r: but if you do ever come accross a family heirloom in the attic and want to keep it hand it in to a dealer as letting the police have it will result in you never seeing it again. Oh and pump action and semi auto shotguns were not outlawed they just moved from a shotgun licence to a firearms licence, you just need to give a good reason for owning one :blink:

I once found a five shilling coin in a range rover but it was a 1991 year :huh: and a 25m tape measure, very usefull when laying out my new garden design!

Brookers