TD5 90 not starting but turning over

Hello all, got a little problem with my 1999 Td5 90 it all started when the fuel pump gave up the ghost so I've now fitted the new pump and replaced the fuel filter and followed the purge / bleed out of the haynes manual.

But all I seem to get now is the land rover turning over but failing to start, also my brother noticed that there was quite a bit of white / Gray smoke coming from the exhaust while I was trying to start it.

So basicly had anyone got any ideas where to start to look for the problem to get me started again? as the fuel system is something I've never worked on up in till now.

Thanks Keith.

Turn the key to position 2 and you should hear the pump singing, leave it until the pump stops (2 or 3 minutes). Repeat this procedure at least three times before trying to start it.

I dont know what the haynes manual says put this method has purged mine before.

Can you hear the pump working?

Have Checked the fuel cut off switch under the bonnet?

How many times have you primed/cranked over?

Andy

Pumps working, checked the fuel cut of switch primed it 3 times for 3 mins each till pump went off.

Turn the key to position 2 and you should hear the pump singing, leave it until the pump stops (2 or 3 minutes). Repeat this procedure at least three times before trying to start it.

I dont know what the haynes manual says put this method has purged mine before.

Thats exactly what the manual says so I'm kinda stumped here.

mmmm anything else it could be as it was working fine before.

Pumps working, checked the fuel cut of switch primed it 3 times for 3 mins each till pump went off.

Thats exactly what the manual says so I'm kinda stumped here.

mmmm anything else it could be as it was working fine before.

Air is getting into the system somwhere at a guess. Have you changed the filter also?

Have you checked the immobiliser flashing light on the instrument cluster?

The crank position sensor is one of the few things that can stop a Td5 from starting, have you been any where near that area?

The purge method is to turn on ignition and press accelerator 5 times. I would do this a few times. Should go quiet eventually.

You could try easy start in the air intake, as a last resort but it's not good for it.

Andy

should start, if it doesnt, youve probably got gremlins deeper inside!

it be witchcraft i tell thee! electrickery! nasty stuff!!

If it was running fine prior to the pump and filter change then it will be imobiliseed, a weak battery and air. Purge with the 5 pumps and charge the battery. and foot flat to the floor when cranking it

My mates td5 had issue where it won't start or sometimes it would cut out and not be able to start for a while after it got to a point where it wouldn't start at all. Turned out it was sucking in air from around the copper washers at the bottom of the injectors he changed them and it's been fine since.

• 6 years later...

Sheer bad manners not to update with a solution...a pet hate of mine...

Try the above solutions if relevant, else post full details and the guys should help, maybe start a new thread.  Not my forte so I can’t.

Hey, After numerous fault finding, replacement fuel pump and fuel it turned out to be a break in the insulation of a cable in the fuse box where it had been rubbing on the metal mounting plate to the bulkhead. Repaired that and jump started and all running now but unfortunately my chassis is worse for ware so not been on the road since getting it back up and running.

The hardest part of this to fault find was the fact i was reading the correct voltage to the fuel pump but under any load of running the pump the break in the insulation caused the pump to not actually run.