new defender

boaterboy

if you get hit by a car, round or square its gona hurt the same.

that prototypes not even got beam axles :angry: that is in my opinion one of the main parts of a proper land rover.

BEAM AXLES AND SQUARENESS. i would probably quite like a redesigned look, as long as it was more or less the same(ish). not the same shape full stop, but it should bear a resemblence, ie the shoulder curve down the side, and the flatish front end. round lights and indicators.

and it should also be able to come in a variety of versions, like the truck cab, hard top, lwb swb etc. otherwise they have lost their way!

I'm quite happy for a new design to come out - keeps things interesting and there are certainly areas for improvement with Defenders.

The age of the current shape does highlight one thing though - it works.

The company can't rely on military orders, but the military are still buying them for the same reason companies like BT, electricity & gas companies, recovery, police do - it's a practical shape for lugging stuff and bolting bits to and you can get to the whirly bits and fix them easily due to the height and clearance.

would be nice if they try to retain some of this into the new design - this concept car doesn't seem to be that 'practical' from the outside - can you imagine it parked under a pylon with a bunch of rigging equipment in the back? (if thats what pylon fixer uppers use :unsure: )

When the time comes, it will look close enough to the existing :) Just like the Jeep, the mini, the beetle and the fiat 500.

They know how much of a success the above have been and they know how much of a success they want the new Defender to be.

They won't stray too far :)

Mo

When the time comes, it will look close enough to the existing :) Just like the Jeep, the mini, the beetle and the fiat 500.

They know how much of a success the above have been and they know how much of a success they want the new Defender to be.

Mo

I agree, Jeep even kept the solid axles and now offer lockers front and rear. There's still hope for Land Rover. ;)

Todd.

Land Rover believes its models are equally capable offroad, in spite of their different looks

Maybe true with a stock vehicle, but even then I find it hard to believe. They seem to have forgotten that with a few modifications, their older vehicles soon surpass what the new ones can do!

Not enjoying the new look!

Maybe true with a stock vehicle, but even then I find it hard to believe. They seem to have forgotten that with a few modifications, their older vehicles soon surpass what the new ones can do!

But with a few modifications the new ones would then surpass the old ones :rolleyes:

Freelander is on the Mondeo/Jag X type platform.

I meant for Land Rover.

Mo

So why bring out a concept that looks nothing like it?

Can't just be to test the water surely?

Hi

My two pence worth,

They will never release anything this early that hasn’t already been superseded. I suspect that the body concept is right SWB 2dr with those proportions however I suspect that the nose, front wings mirrors lights etc are all old concepts. I think that the durable arches and sills are here to stay and I kind a like the door handle.

The glass panel behind the window is probably a keeper as it allows the door and hence the wheelbase to be short but it will allow you to see over your shoulder and turn right more easily.

There are a lot of defender styling cues in there though, the one piece wings and narrow bonnet, the roof panel has the old school reinforcing ribs from the old series land rovers. The overhangs are very short so it should still be pretty good off road. The brakes are actually quite small so it will be light and you can put smaller wheel with mud plugging tyres on.

I am not mad keen on the lights, the grill and nose are a bit to freelander but they will need space for crash and it will need better aero for fuel consumption, so I suspect that the square defender face will be very much rounded of like this.

Recovery points very improbable to far outboard to find any structure without considering crash implications.

Interesting though very interesting considering the architectural changes they have got to make to pass modern crash (inc pedestrian impact) I am quite positive about the shape.

I suspect that this might be very similar to the car they will show at Frankfurt in a week or so.

Just my thoughts, I am very pleased that they are going ahead with the project and I wish then all the best, this is the most difficult new car they have ever had to do in my opinion.

Lets hope as its a "concept" it wont be anything like it !!!

some are "growers", bit like p38, blooming awfull when it 1st came out but rather nice now, the Evouqe is the same for me, not keen but give it a year or so and i mite like it but with the defender being able to trace its parentage back to series 1 the "new" defender aint gonna do it for me, then again i am a Luddite !!!

Paul

As it's a concept, it's probably been designed from the initial brief that the only limits are to fill the requirements that the Defender meets, in whatever way is thought up without prior preconception. It's the result of blue sky ideas. The next 4 years they will be tweaking this to also bear resemblance to retain the marque, as image also denotes a lot of brand values.

With the Discovery 3 they threw away the rule book and designed inside-out rather than outside-in, which has seen a great success. They are probably trying to apply this same philosophy to the Defender.