Unimog Axles

BlackMamba

Hello,

I'm new in this forum. B)

I've got a LR Defender, and I want to know what you have to say of fitting Unimog axles in a LR, what is good and what is bad? :unsure:

Que Moglite.

He will be your man to ask.

Come on Andy wake up and pay attention :lol::lol:

Hi, you need to do some searching. I'll start you off, I'm sure others will help out.

Points you need to consider:

1. Weight. They are all heavy - exactly how heavy depends on the model you use. 404s are the smallest (or 411s if you can find them). When I say small, they are big (figure on 250kgs each).

2. Diff pinion length - long. You'll need to convert the pinion to a flange output (can buy conversions for ok money). Normally they use a 'torque tube' which is useless on a landy. Still need to consider how they will fit in though. Figure on 20 inches from axle centreline to diff flange (long). If it fits, you'll still need custom propshafts.

3. Suspension - gonna make links? Mount shocks? Landy springs? Lots to do there.

4. Extra width.

5. Wheels - bolt pattern, clearance for brakes.

6. Brakes - big, heavy, plenty of power. Gonna convert to discs (many ways to do it)?

Few areas to think on...

Cheers, Al.

Come on Andy wake up and pay attention :lol::lol:

I was having my lunch :P

Main problem is the front diff is on the wrong side for an LT230 transfer box, so your front prop wants to go through the sump

Then you can add on pinion conversion

Possible disc brake conversions

Suspension mounts

etc etc.

It can be done, but sorry - if you've gotta ask - you can't do it.

Try to locate some Volvo c303 axle assemblies. They are considerably lighter than 404 Unimog axles and have the correct offset for LandRovers. Even the standard length Rover propsafts bolt straight up. The brakes, although drum type are compatible with the rest of your Landy brake system.

The Unimog 404's have much bigger stronger diffs, CV's and upper axles, but IMO Volvo axle assemblies are at least effectively twice as strong as 3.54 :1 Rover type axle assemblies. Volvo portal gears are very close in size to 404 mog portal gears but Volvos are straight cut so do not generate heat or end thrust like 404's helically cut gears. There is a bit of fabrication work to setup the LandRovers coil suspension mounts, but any axle swap is like that. You have to relocate the panhard rod chassis mount further up and back to clear the Volvo track rod. To keep front propshaft UJ angles the same as standard, and therefore vibration to a minimum, the swivel housing flanges on the banjo housing should be redrilled in order to tilt the diff up some 12 to 15 degrees to emulate the pinion angle of a standard coil sprung Rover front diff.

Bill.

cost of c303 axles and parts are hge compared to std gear though, some LHD drive variants are available but i think (and will stand corrected) but the spares for these are even more extorionate than RHD's?

European offroad enthusiasts are really spoilt. I wish we in Australia had the opportunities to access the types of vehicles available to you from neighboring countries.

A year ago a friend who lives in Dorset bought a complete very low mileage 6x6 Volvo off the docks for 3,500 pounds.Surely that is a better way of sourcing axles?. Although, I would be very reluctant to cannibalise a perfectly good Volvo to build up a LandRover. The term '' gold tooth on a rat'' springs to mind.

LOL. : :rolleyes:

the only difference between LHD and RHD 303 axles is one track rod end, its a 10 minute job to convert them (including coffee and at least 2 ciggys) :)

compare the price of a pair of C303s to a beefed up Rover axle and you will still come out quids in with the volvos, plus the added fun of CTIS availability, the strength to swing 40" tyres in safety etc,

European offroad enthusiasts are really spoilt. I wish we in Australia had the opportunities to access the types of vehicles available to you from neighboring countries.

A year ago a friend who lives in Dorset bought a complete very low mileage 6x6 Volvo off the docks for 3,500 pounds.Surely that is a better way of sourcing axles?. Although, I would be very reluctant to cannibalise a perfectly good Volvo to build up a LandRover. The term '' gold tooth on a rat'' springs to mind.

LOL. : :rolleyes:

mmm swings and round abouts. we do have ARB and Maxi Drive here on our door step

Speaking of that why not go for Maxi drive Portal ends on you r axels. easer to fit and do and end up with the same result (if you axels are already lockers and stuff.)

Unfortunately Mal has a fit if you try and put anything larger than a 36" bicycle tyre on, and ultimately you still end up with a weaker and more expensive axle than a mog or volvo equiped bus :(

Speaking of that why not go for Maxi drive Portal ends on you r axels. easer to fit and do and end up with the same result (if you axels are already lockers and stuff.)

anybody have any piccies or links to these? purely out of interest really :)

mmm swings and round abouts. we do have ARB and Maxi Drive here on our door step

On our doorstep doesn't always mean it is cheaper. I heard that an ARB locker in the USA costs less than over here.

Anyway properly designed European offroad vehicles do not require the assistance of Messers Andrew and Roger Brown, or Malcom Story.

Bill.

On our doorstep doesn't always mean it is cheaper. I heard that an ARB locker in the USA costs less than over here.

Anyway properly designed European offroad vehicles do not require the assistance of Messers Andrew and Roger Brown, or Malcom Story.

Bill.

mmm having competed in the Uk and lived there all of my life apart from the last year. I would disagree.

Most challenge trucks run ARB and Maxi drive stuff. And most is aus or copied aus stuff. Aus is a few years ahead of the Uk . When it comes to off road products

As I'm building the challenge tomcat I looked at going for maxi portals as I can get them through Ali but the UK competitors don't feel the compitions will run side by side with portal trucks for long as there too big for the uk events other parts of europe they have the space and left over ex army trucks to build stuff from.

I can't justify traveling across europe to compete as my job will not allow it and SWMBO got the hump with driving to scotland to race and the north five weekends a year.

with

The camper + trailer

17t service truck + trailer

co-drivers camper

That was racing two cars you will not get any change out of a £1000 per round for fuel, before you look at th racers fuel

That costs

If I went portal I would not get value for money in the uk and would want to compete futher afield and then all the hidden cost come in.

Yeah - sounds expensive Jules. :(

I'm not sure I get the argument that portalled trucks are 'bigger' necessarily - do they mean 'higher' or what?

For instance, adding volvo portals doesn't seem to change the track by much?

Are they just worried that their non-portalled trucks wouldn't be able to compete? ;)

Al.

I have nothing against Maxidrive products. They are nicely made and use high quality materials, but

the following is a comparison between Volvo and Maxidrive portal options

Volvos, complete with factory standard difflocks were available EX Malaysia for around AUS$4500 a set landed. Properly done ,Landrovers can be engineered and registered with Volvo axles fitted.

If you start off with standard Rover type axles, fit Maxidrive difflocks, reinforced Banjo housings and Maxidrive Portals you will be out of pocket by around AUS$17000. You will have a vehicles that is not registerable in Australia. The ratio of MD portals is only 1.3:1, so the fragile CV joint is only effectively 30%

stronger than before, compared to the Volvo at over 100% stronger(ratio 2.19:1).

Volvo swivel housings are designed to cope with the significantly higher loads that portals impose on swivel pins. Rover swivel housings and pins, particularly the smaller ones on coil sprung models are not. The diameter of Volvo final axle shaft is 46 mm. The diameter of MD portal final axle shaft is 31mm. The MD is fully floating though, which offsets the difference to a degree. MD portal conversions retain disc brakes. Volvos have standard drum brakes and a disc conversion costs $$$.

The 2 gear Volvo portals would have less rolling resistance than the 4 gear Maxidrive units.

The MD portals will bolt straight on , whereas Volvos require a bit of (about $1000) worth of fabrication to fit up.

Bill.