your disco woes

stretch121

After the dramas iv had the last few days with my Disco 2 and in relation to my thread titled By god i love my Landy,i thought id take the time to start a new thread.

So, for all the motor related woes and problems. You know, the 5 min jobs that end up taking 5 hours that wind you up , frustrate and drive you round the bend be they large or small, i know im not alone so come on lets hear em chaps.

Im not sure if this has been covered already, im pretty sure it has although i cant find a thread.

Leaking core plug at the back of the engine (although not a 5 minute job) ended up with a replaced head. Also, the engine out to fix the core plug had to be done twice as the pivot pin for the clutch came out of the bellhousing. Only knew this when it was all done and there was no clutch!

Replacing the plastic bung in a 300Tdi thermostat housing for a brass one (a proper 5 minute job) had the plastic bung sheer off, and in cutting out the left over plastic bits a bit fell into the head. Luckily it was just inside the head, but I had to remove the thermostat housing to get to it.

Radiator swap (10 minute job) lasted 2 weeks as the S**tpart radiator didn't fit and a replacement had to be found and shipped (not S**tpart).

Draining the coolant to allow me to replace the water pump ended up with the bottom pipe on the radiator coming out and needing to be resoldered back in.

I am sure there are more that I can't think of, and there will be more in the future. You can rely on a Land Rover...

Well most of my Jobs take 5 mins but there is a couple, the Overheating prob I think I've cured but not had time to test, which has been unresolved since buying the 300, the power issue that I thought could be resolved with a 'cooler tweak and decat after changing the originally goosed Bosch pump now resorting to turbo replacement and new lift pump........

Oh and the central locking on the td5 mimicking the whackamole game some unlock some don't and in no particular Order....

150 views and counting, well guys it looks like its just us 3 that are a little unlucky when it comes to our Disco's lol, maybe everyone else is just a little embarrassed about their disco woes ha ha ha

Either way i know im going to have many many more to come, looks like my Disco has firmly welcomed me into the world of Land Rover ownership.

I suspect there's an element of "I've lots of small problems" rather than a "big one" to put on the forum for most of us. For example, I've owned my Disco for almost three years now, and all I've had to do is...

Replace the aux belt four times

Replace the aircon belt twice

Replace the water pump twice

Replace the front wheel bearings twice

Constantly try to stop the ABS light starting at me (bearings?)

Replace the P-gasket once

Replace the front-right stub axle

Seal up the front sunroof as the mechanism snapped and left it flapping in the breeze!

Replace the rear screen wash jet after my garage door swiped it off

Replace the boot floor

Replace the middle/rear exhaust

Replace the turbo hoses (one had collapsed)

Replace one of the front UJs

Replace all four shocks

Replace all springs

Replace the rear discs/pads

Replace front pads

Replace a front indicator (whole unit)

Replace rear stop/tail light bulbs (which is a pain in the ar*e)

...but I still thoroughly enjoy the car, even though I think the transfer box is giving up on me.

:)