Discovery axles on 110

C18RCH

I have a 1988 110 with 10 spline axles and drum braked salisbury rear axle. I have been thinking about fitting newer 24 spline axles and have the option of some cheap disco axles.

Will they just bolt on or do I need to do any modifications?

The reason I want to change them is firstly for the rear disc brakes and secondly I'm not a fan of salisbury axles. It's like lugging a ground anchor round in mud or ruts.

Easy answer.....Do nothing.

The discovery axles are not rated for the weight of the 110. The salisbury is there for a reason - because it is very strong. There are other methods of fitting disc brakes to your current axle detailed on here.

They will fit. the weight rating is mainly due to spring ratings, not just the axle strength. The Rover axle tube is used on post 2004 110"'s don't forget. The hub assemblys on these later axles are'nt dissimilar to disco set-up, but they do have bigger brakes. A two pin diff won't last long in the back of a 110" but a 4 pin will. propshaft on the rear would need lengthening.

Your best option would be to get a 04> 110 rear axle and propshaft, then it's all standard.

i thought the axle on 110's were 24 already.they are on my 89 110.i'm just doing a rear disc conversion on mine and upgrading the fronts to vented disc's while i'm at it.

a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a 2nd hand disc axle.

rear disc's slotted/grooveed £36

early 110 front hubs £30

calipers new £80

Puma engine'd defenders did have diff problems, it wasn't a re-call issue but was an issue none the less. While i was still at KAM we had more people calling with salisbury problems than 110 rover axle problems. the diffs are pretty strong.

If you want big repair bills when/if it goes wrong then keep the salisbury.

Maybe they are I haven't checked but I was told they are 10 spline on mine. Can't check at the moment either since it's at my parents 200 miles away. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that all TD5's & Disco 2's had the same rear axle not just those post 04?

Maybe they are I haven't checked but I was told they are 10 spline on mine. Can't check at the moment either since it's at my parents 200 miles away. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that all TD5's & Disco 2's had the same rear axle not just those post 04?

Nope, you'll find the wolf axle on late 2003 spec 110"s onwards. LR called these 04 MY. pre this date TD5's have Salisbury axles too. Td5 Disco's have Tempest axles and are different again but use a standard LR 2 pin Differential.

Your 88 MY 110" will have 10 spline front axle. All Salisbury axles are 24 spline, even series 109's

Steve

A mate has a Puma 110 and reckons the back axle is the only thing that goes wrong - he's been back under warranty many many times for rear diff repairs, will be fitting a salisbury when it's out of warranty I think :(

I agree, we have loads of problems with them, pinion bearings are too close together in my opinion,

we have designed and costed a complete replacement diff, with locker, with HD shafts, using the huge ford 8.8" hypoid ring and pinion, designed to be a direct bolt in diff with shafts, ie Salisbury strength in the stock axle,

Dave

• 2 months later...

Would a Disco rear axle fit on a D90 without much modification? I've got an '84 with the rear differential going bad. Defender parts are hard to come by, especially for the early years, but Disco parts aren't too difficult.

disco axle will bolt on with no mods apart from the flange on the diff.you'll need to change it to a 4 bolt.

• 10 years later...

You know that thing where you have read something on here, but when you come back to find it again - its gone! Totally evading all searches. Just spent an hour looking for a v useful thread I once read. Dayam...

I've just dismantled a 1997 Discovery 1 that has/had only 61k miles on the clock. Just before I put the axles up for sale I wanted to confirm they will not be suitable for my 1987 110 project - this has the Salisbury rear axle with drum brakes.

Somewhere I know I've read that the Disco rear axle disc brakes are not significantly better than my existing drums - apart from it being unable to take the weight/spring loading of the 110. Also that the front axle cv joints are weaker on the Disco axle.

Just don't want to flog off the low mileage Disco axles and then find I got it all wrong.....

32 minutes ago, Phill S said:

You know that thing where you have read something on here, but when you come back to find it again - its gone! Totally evading all searches. Just spent an hour looking for a v useful thread I once read. Dayam...

I've just dismantled a 1997 Discovery 1 that has/had only 61k miles on the clock. Just before I put the axles up for sale I wanted to confirm they will not be suitable for my 1987 110 project - this has the Salisbury rear axle with drum brakes.

Somewhere I know I've read that the Disco rear axle disc brakes are not significantly better than my existing drums - apart from it being unable to take the weight/spring loading of the 110. Also that the front axle cv joints are weaker on the Disco axle.

Just don't want to flog off the low mileage Disco axles and then find I got it all wrong.....

Your 110 will have narrow radius arms, the Disco has wider. There is also a chance the Panhard bolt size is different? Your 110 has the best CVs (sans 101) that LR gave us. 

I won’t get into the brake debate, your 110 has a MUCH stronger differential, the same strength axle shafts as the Disco. The weight carrying of the Salisbury over the Banjo housing is a tough one. I’m not an engineer but I see advantages in the Banjo, especially compared to the standard duty Salisbury as in your 110, but I wouldn’t be too worried either way.

Your 110 has wider wheel bearing spacing (good) than the disco.

You can quite easily convert your Sals to disc using LR parts…

Edited by uninformed

1 hour ago, uninformed said:

You can quite easily convert your Sals to disc using LR parts…

I have just done exactly this, strip axle down to the casing and then build back up using non modified Land Rover parts. Don't use the Disco axle, if it failed under the weight of a 110 and caused an axle you would be in a lot of trouble

Can't comment further on the front

On the ibex I have a 24 spline disco axle up front with vented discs and 110 front calipers. On the back I have a Salisbury rear axle converted to disc. Our 110 is on stock axles 10 spline and solid discs up front and Salisbury with drums on the rear. In my opinion the Salisbury axle is far stronger in stock form than the equivalent 110 rover rear axle. I will say it's worth converting to discs on the rear, whilst well adjusted drums in good fettle are almost as good as discs they don't stay that way for long. Where as discs are fit and forget with consistent braking.

Mike

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Yes - stronger CVs but weaker shafts.

The later axles had stronger (24-spline) shafts but weaker CVs.

I’m pretty sure @ashtransdid some destructive testing of factory shafts years ago and found 10 spline stronger than 24. While there is no argument that the 24 spline isn’t a stronger design by size AND spline profile, there was some change in manufacturing (material, heat treating, or process)

The other thing to remember is since we are talking about the front axle assembly, the 24 spline inner shafts have the hopeless, smaller 32 spline CV end. This has a smaller root dia than even the 10 spline. 

So IMO, the factory front 10 spline shafts are stronger than the factory front 24 spline shafts ( unless of course you are unlucky enough to have the factory 10/32 spline that ran for a small window of time between the other two…)