Whilst the gaffer tape is nicely sealing the drawn on hinges from muck off the bottom of shoes etc on this prototype, do you envisage any issues with the hinges on later prototypes/production given how wet/mucky that area gets on most defenders?

I'm really liking the idea and will be one of your first customers should you go into production.

One other point ... will there be anything to stop the top hingy bit flapping forward whilst driving and hitting your ankles?

Keep up the good work :)

I imagine it would use a peg/hole hinge (dunno the proper name) on either side similar to a defender drop down tailgate hinge, rather than a piano style hinge? So muck no problem.

I'd actually figured on a piano hinge rolled in to the edge of the material with a 2mm stainless pin inside a nylon tube as the hinge pin. My hope is that even though it will be in the muck, it shouldn't seize up, particularly with a bit of WD40. A piano hinge is the most secure as you have to cut it in many places to break it apart. It is also very low profile so shouldn't get under your feet.

To stop the flap coming forward and hitting your ankles, the hinge is set back from the edge so your feet on the main bit will hold the flap against the seat box. Also, use a couple of Neodymium magnets screwed to the seatbox to stop it rattling and flapping forwards. This will obviously require the special magnetic cardboard.

The plan is to sandwich the lock components between the outer and an inner plate with folded edges to prevent screwdriver attacks. The planned material is a type of Sweedish cardboard very resistant to drilling and grinding often used in safe locks.

Might I suggest that it would be more solid in construction if you were to use the Blu tack spot welder on the seams?

Gaffer Tape is all very well (and we all know how strong this magical element is), but it does give the undesirables an edge to

work at when trying to brake in!

As for the use of staples in at times damp conditions, They would need to be Galvanised surely? And this in turn would only add to the over all cost!

An AC version (as it has vents under the dash) needs looking at! As my only AC is the window at the moment - I'll have to borrow someone's truck to have a poke round at.

The project name at the moment is Defender-Defender - which has a 'does what it says on the tin' ring to it. X-Lock is reserved for another 'secret' project! I think you'll like it too - it's an uber-cool idea even if I say so myself!

I feel that something has to be done about the current spate of defender thefts. This is the best part solution I've come up with so far and I plan to make it as affordable as it possibly can be, to help the situation more than capitalise on it!

This evening I had a chat with Dave NAS90 who rind my favourite Laser Cutting and folding company about material choice and forming hinges and he made some good suggestions. My preference is either Hardox Extreme, Domex or Stainless as they are all a pain to cut with a grinder or drill. He is going to talk to the people who make the tooling for their brake press about hinge forming - so the project is under way! I think the best products I've come up with are the ones I want myself - and this Is definitely one of them!

Si

If you can make one that is reasonably priced and sh!t proof (thats the thieving scumbag kind, and what gets on your shoes). Then I Would definitely be up for one! I like the idea of a pedal lock, but all the ones out there are a PITA to store, especially in a 90! This means the can't be bothered factor would stop it being used.

You can tell the difference between an overheat and a flame out by listening to the fuel pump. An overheat will stop the fuel pump immediately, where as with a flame out the pump continues to click for a few seconds before the thing gives up....

My thoughts exactly! I have one under my bench that I got P'd off with as there was nowhere safe to stow it in a double-cab with no bulkhead. It weighs about 15kg and not something I fancy embedded in the back of my head after an accident!

Si

If you design one thats bolted to the floor (i think i've got that right...) wont you lose the ablilty to fit mats and soundproofing? I imagine it might be quite rattly as well if it folds back flat on the bare metal floor whilst driving. Could get around it with some custom cut soundproofing/foam/mat cut to sit either side of the hinge. I guess the thickness of any added matting would need to be accounted for in the height of the hinge?

The bolts attaching it to the floor would also need to be like coach bolts - the ones with the square bit of the shank under the rounded head so that they could key into the holes in the floor - the square ones where the plastic screw fixings currently sit would be perfect for this. The use of these bolts (or something similar) with threads pointing up into the footwell and contained inside the locked box would mean that a potential theif couldnt unbolt the unit from underneath the truck.

I'd kind of figured that the mats / soundproofing / Carpet would be use to hide the hinge when it's stowed. Granted you'd have to cut the mat in half and glue it to the plate - but the depth of the mat is likely to be similar to that of the hinge making it sit almost flush with the floor. If it vibrates against the floor - a thin rubber sheet between the two might fix it? Needs an experiment!

I'd figured on using security bolts of some description to fix it to the floor with Nyloc nuts on the inside of the vehicle. Even if you can turn the bolt head - the nut will spin. It could alternatively have a flat bar with welded studs that stick through the floor which would be more difficult to cut off with a grinder.

Si

An AC version (as it has vents under the dash) needs looking at! As my only AC is the window at the moment - I'll have to borrow someone's truck to have a poke round at.

The project name at the moment is Defender-Defender - which has a 'does what it says on the tin' ring to it. X-Lock is reserved for another 'secret' project! I think you'll like it too - it's an uber-cool idea even if I say so myself!

I feel that something has to be done about the current spate of defender thefts. This is the best part solution I've come up with so far and I plan to make it as affordable as it possibly can be, to help the situation more than capitalise on it!

This evening I had a chat with Dave NAS90 who rind my favourite Laser Cutting and folding company about material choice and forming hinges and he made some good suggestions. My preference is either Hardox Extreme, Domex or Stainless as they are all a pain to cut with a grinder or drill. He is going to talk to the people who make the tooling for their brake press about hinge forming - so the project is under way! I think the best products I've come up with are the ones I want myself - and this Is definitely one of them!

Si

You would be welcome to use my A/C Defender as a template if you needed Si, you could also sort out the door catches at the same time !!

Oh, oh, seems a 'Land Rover' [police description, not mine] was stolen on Monday night from the next village along. I use an Adrenaline 4x4 pedal lock in the Puma which covers the pedals entirely, it's a bit fiddly to fit and remove [even more so at the moment as my back has gone again and I can hardly walk or bend] and stowage is a concern.

Oh, oh, seems a 'Land Rover' [police description, not mine] was stolen on Monday night from the next village along. I use an Adrenaline 4x4 pedal lock in the Puma which covers the pedals entirely, it's a bit fiddly to fit and remove [even more so at the moment as my back has gone again and I can hardly walk or bend] and stowage is a concern.

I use the same pedal lock as you Steve and it has already saved my Defender once, stowage is a pain but it will still be used until Si starts selling his 'Defender defender'.

Si

Well I already offered you my 110 ^_^

It's (internally anyway) a standard non-A/C 300Tdi CSW so has no vents and plenty of carpets. At least now I'm not the other end of the country to you...