Number Plate location

godzilla84

Does anybody know the legalities of mounting the front numberplate above the windscreen on either a light bar or a roof rack? I'm planning on fitting a light bar with 2 round spot lights either side of the number plate to keep it out of the water when I go to pay and play sites as I have lost 2 in the past and broken I don't know how many. I don't like the sticker types on the bonnet and I have been told that they are illegal anyway.

Theres nothing in the MOT manuals that says where the front plate can or cant be placed aslong as its facing forward, isnt obstructed and can be read from 20 mtrs

Going off a mates investigation imto plate legalities for his trans-am 8/9 yrs ago there's nothing in mot/legal manual that states a front plate has to be on display.... It's just the norm and down to the policemans judgement on the day ;)

Going off a mates investigation imto plate legalities for his trans-am 8/9 yrs ago there's nothing in mot/legal manual that states a front plate has to be on display.... It's just the norm and down to the policemans judgement on the day ;)

That's something I have heard but like mikey says about the MOT, I assume that it works like the spare tyre issue in an MOT. You don't have to have it but if you do it has to meet the criteria. I want a front numberplate and I think it looks good mounted high up as well as being out of the way and it looks like that is how I'm going to do it.

Reg plates must be on both front and back of vehicles for MOT , however if its a foreign registered, military or diplomatic vehicle they are not part of the MOT inspection.