Td5 fuel purge cycle

Off Road Toad

How much of a pig is this to do!! I have been trying to get my new (to me) td5 engine started. All the fuel lines have been replaced etc, so basically i have a lot of air in the system. The purge cycle is working as it should, after 5 pumps of the throttle the pump kicks in for about 30 secs then off for 5 secs and the MIL light flashes while this is happening. Once it's finished i then hold the throttle down and crank her over. result = lots of flattened batteries. I have purged the thing to death now. the pump is sounding much quieter but still makes squelching noises when it first starts. Is there an easier way of making this work? is this normal to be such a frick? should i just carry on until me or the landy just burst into flames?

ANY help much appreciated!

Steve

Well it seems i've found a couple of issues. I have had a huge amount of air in the system. It has taken at least ten cycles to stop the gurgling from the pump. Now that the gurgling has all but stopped and pressure has built up its leaking diesel from pretty much every union :( Part of the issue here is its all modified. the standard fuel lines don't work when the fuel tanks in a non standard place blah blah blah so i've made new ones up. These are fine but rely of jubilee clips to secure them into position - normally fine for this job but on this occasion i used my trade card and went to Halfords :blush: I won't make this mistake again. Their clips clearly come from a toy factory in harro land and you can't tighten them up because they just strip their threads or bend and snap and what i would call finger tight :rtfm: So i have run out of time, energy, patience, money, and sanity for today. Tomorrow i will try and source some mansize jubilee clips from a real shop and try the whole sorry thing all over again.

Steve

i will only use s/s high grip jubilee clips

ive never had an issue with my td5 hose's leaking

my road 90 has the std underslung tank modified to take the td5 pump, and my comp truck has a custom ally tank over the rear axle, so both needed new hoses making

you might find that it will be easier to tow the

bugger to spring it into life

either that or a quick wiff of easy start

also make sure that everything is right and that the ecu is firing the injectors..... just turn the ignition on, youll hear a faint hum from the ecu .... thats a good sign when youve converted to td5

you know where i am if you struggle pal :-)

dan

:D :D :D It lives!!!! Once i'd plugged in the crank sensor i did one more purge cycle 'just for luck' and then turned her over (ooer)

After about 10 secs of cranking it coughed and spluttered then ran on a couple of cylinders for a bit then all of them, then misfired for a couple of mins but then cleared it's throat and runs sweeeeeeeet :P

A BIG thankyou to everyone whos help with this conversion, especially Yella 90 for the contact for getting the Ecu 'done'

Now to re-fit the interior of the car, re- register with DVLA, tell the insurance co, re-mot it and not forgetting i need a new tax disc aswell :rolleyes: However i don't care about any of that now because it works!!!

Steve