Odd, troublong noise

popotla

My Land Rover is a Defender Td5 110, CSW. From the region around where the ignition key goes in, I hear a noise somewhere between a tapping and a ticking. It's not there all the time,but most of the time. When it is there, it's not regular like the ticking of a clock, but irregular. At first I thought that some of the keys on the same ring were tapping against the surrounding plastic as they moved with the movement of the vehicle, but that isn't the case.

Please, any ideas or suggestions?

Guest wunntenn

Does the speedo or rev counter have a mechanical cable connection or electronic? My old 110 (non TD5) has a wobbly speedo and a clickity-click thats caused by the connection of the cable to the head unit.

Take the instrument binnacle off - 2 screws on the side at the top and 2 underneath all of 1 minutes work.

There are a host of relays behind there, as well as lots of wires. Run the vehicle and see if you can pinpoint which one. You will probably be able to feel a dodgy relay clicking with your finger, if not a screwdriver to your ear resting on it.