Changing Glass Fuses for Blade type - Suggestions

Hi peeps,

I'm getting tired of the lottery I run each time I set off in my Landy. Never knowing which light, fan, guage is going to stop working during that journey is wearing me down.....

Is there a kit out there anywhere to exchange the old fuse box for a newer blade type ?

Idelly I'd like the new fusebox to fit right where the old one is and be hideen by the same panel !! (Who ever gets ideal on their Landy eh !!)

Any links, suggestions, options gratefully received.

(I've seen Divsters post re. where he got parts from but not got a response from him yet in PM's regards ease f change and final appearance..)

Neil

Hi peeps,

I'm getting tired of the lottery I run each time I set off in my Landy. Never knowing which light, fan, guage is going to stop working during that journey is wearing me down.....

Is there a kit out there anywhere to exchange the old fuse box for a newer blade type ?

Idelly I'd like the new fusebox to fit right where the old one is and be hideen by the same panel !! (Who ever gets ideal on their Landy eh !!)

(I've seen Divsters post re. where he got parts from but not got a response from him yet in PM's regards ease f change and final appearance..)

Neil

Don't take this the wrong way, but if fuses keep blowing, changing them to a blade type is unlikely to make much difference. You need to find the underlying cause of the problem. It is quite common for water to find its way into the fuse box from leaks around the windscreen/bulkhead etc.

The glass fuses may be antiquated, but they work fine and should remain trouble free assuming there is no corrosion and are correctly rated for there jobs.

If your landy is very old, you might consider buying a new set of standard glass fuses. In theory fuses will eventually 'weaken' as a result of years of current running through them.

Regards,

Diff

Guest diesel_jim

Diff, I think he means that the fuses just come loose all the time, my V8 90 used to, it was a right pain.

you could remove the fuses, and bend the clip things in a bit tighter, thats what i did on a few of them, but the only really easy way to get over it is to change the whole dash wiring loom, unless you're any good with a soldering iron and heat shrink sleeving (don't bother with leccy tape, not in the position where it is, ie damp and warm, as it'll come unstuck and look a right mess, and end up shorting out somewhere)

Hi peeps,

Neil

Neil, sorry I haven't replied sooner, work keeps getting in the way.

The main reasons I changed from the glass type fuses to the blades were that some of the connections on the back of the glass holders were completely knackered and kept earthing on the body and that glass fuses just aren't as easy to get hold of these days.

When changing over I used an 8 blade fuse holder from vehicle wiring products (ref FBB8U on the link below). This gives you an extra couple of fuse holders for any extra's you may be running.

Vehicle wiring

The dimensions of the replacement fuse holders are pretty close to the original glass holders. Despite this, I removed the entire panel, adjusted the apertures to size and fitted the new fuseholders to the panel whilst it was on the bench. The replacement fuse holders have the contacts underneath as per the glass holder units so changing the wiring over is fairly straight forward. Put in your new blade fuses and your away. The normal LR fuse box cover fits as normal.

Dave

PS Sorry I didn't take any pics when I did this mod

Neil

I have just done this

but the only really easy way to get over it is to change the whole dash wiring loom

due to a damaged switch that caused a bit of a meltdown, the 2 fuseboxes are for glass type fuses both are in good working condition in can remove these from the old removed loom & post them if you want them, I've not had any loose fuses while these have been fitted all the clip connections are sound.

Many thanks for the replies people. I'm in Scotland using mobile and laptop atm so will read up and get back to you each in a few weeks. Sounds like I may be heading the Divster route... (I'll be in touch Western to clarify what you are offering...)

Landy currently in garage as the re-con V8 is using/losing approx. 2 litres of oil per 500 miles... (Yes, it is run in...)

Seems a little excessive to me, especially when the old lump with a lame left bank didn't use any oil !!

Speak soon,

Thanks

Neil

(I'll be in touch Western to clarify what you are offering...)

a pic of the parts will be here shortly :i-m_so_happy:

these bits ----------

IMG_0904.jpg

on the right hand one 5 wires have been cut, 1 with the blue connector is where I had my overdrive power feed connected, 4 others cut as I needed the lengths of wire for another job.

Edited by western

• 2 weeks later...