which air box? where's the vaccuum?

2drdan

2 Q's for any one who doesn't mind...

Well the tdi is finally in :) and now I need to connect everything up, fuel, air, coolant pipes being next to get ordered. I have a rad and the std intercooler but no air box....

Any suggestions of the best model to use, I will be sealing it to a raised air intake and it is for a 200 tdi in a RRC......??

(Famous Four have a disco 200 box for £25 plus the usuals)

How does the tdi create a vacuum for the brakes??

Grateful for any thoughts.....

Cheers chaps and chapesses, Phil.

PS. Pics of all the conversion will be added soon

Uses a vacuum pump for the servo driven off the old hole where the injection pump is on a 2.25 diesel, use genuine one or for a fraction of the price get one from a scrappy from a diesel Citroen ZX/mark 1 Pug 306 and make up a mount to drive it from alternator/PS belts

Guest diesel_jim

I've just finished fitting the 300 into my 90 this week.

I got an air box from Billing. it was a rangie one i think, but it was the same diameter so fitted into the 2 clamps perfectly.

however.....

when it was sat on my engine crane thing, the air box fitted a treat, looked good etc. but once i got the engine into the engine bay, the brake vacuum servo was in the way for where the "in" pipe was, and i couldn't rotate the air box (so that the pipe faced "down" like factory models) because the size/shape of the pipe interfered with the other pipes and the main air box support bracket.

I think i'm going to end up having to cut the "in" pipe off from it present location (about 1/2 way down the box) and weld it on nearer the end, just so that i can get a pipe onto it.

unless anyone has a second hand box for sale?

they're about £69 gen-you-whine.

/beavis & butthead voice/

heh heh, hmm hmm,, he said "69".... hmmm hmm... heh heh...

'just finished ordering pipes and the airbox from Famous Four, spoke to Andrew who was very helpful.

This includes the disco air box as above and I'll get some piccies when I get it sorted......although I think I have a bit more space in the RRC engine bay than Diesel Jim!

;)

Guest diesel_jim
although I think I have a bit more space in the RRC engine bay than Diesel Jim!

;)

:blink::blink: oh yeah.... i now see you've typed RRC.......

yeah, you should have mucho room there. B)

2drdan, I spy an Akropovich motorcycle race can in your Avatar, sound any good?

It sounded lovely with the V8, I don't know yet how I'll be finishing the Tdi exhaust........

it was quite quiet but a sweet sound, no where near as raucaus (sp?) as when it was on my mates GXR1000!!

B)

It sounded lovely with the V8, I don't know yet how I'll be finishing the Tdi exhaust........

it was quite quiet but a sweet sound, no where near as raucaus (sp?) as when it was on my mates GXR1000!!

B)

he he hee shweet :D

Guest diesel_jim

I popped down to Tim Fry landrover today and had a chat with my mate Howard. he sorted me out with a Tdi 90 exhaust and a proper Tdi airbox.... B) B)

i can get it looking "factory" again now!

so if anyone needs an air box, same diameter as a 300Tdi but about 6" shorter... shout!