LT230 PTO DIY kit possibly on its way

Soren Frimodt

Hi Calle, once again you flatter us, we are but mere boys having fun, and when people appreciates it, it just making it even better ;)

Neither my brother or the guy that's getting the second winch competes in DOS. They might in the future, but we have no plans about going there sadly. But I'm sure we can manage to bump into each other somewhere else?

Steve: No laser nor Plasma cutting. Rough-cut with Acetylene torch then finished off with a grinder.

We're really intrigued as to see how these tensioner rollers will work out, but only time can tell

• 2 weeks later...

Well this saturday we did yet another test at my secret testing facility ;) A video here:

And we did manage to break something in the winch, accidently the driver managed to run the hook into the fairlead at quite a pace. This snapped the halfshaft in the winch, right where it had been welded when it was shortened. So really a very predictable break, and it'll now be redesigned to avoid welding as this will always be a weak point. But other than this we are well-chuffed, soft moor's are no longer a problem ;)

The weakest point will still be the halfshaft, but by welding it we do not get full use of the strength, and therefore the weakpoint comes to early. No doubt it was due to the extreme shock load that it was subjected to, but still we would like get as much reliability as possible. had it braked at the splines we would have done nothing to improve it, because then the weakpoint was where it was suppose to be. But now now it isn't

My mate who just broke his winch axle, is working hard to get it sorted, among other things he tolled me something that I find quite interesting: At his work they measured the hardness "HRC" of a Paddock shaft as he was running and a old genuine shaft from a series. The Paddock shaft measured 50 HRC whereas the genuine unit measured 40HRC. BUT the genuine unit had the exact same hardness all the way through, whereas the Paddock unit only had this hardening in about 3mm's depth! So basically they use a way to soft material and then harden their way to somewhat of a reasonable result. This is quite interesting right? So from now on he will be running a genuine shaft that's NOT welded. So new testing must soon be done!

Some fresh pictures from the halfshaft-project. My mate's really working hard to make this thing run! He even entered a SpeedChallenge event in the Danish Toyota 4WD club which starts in fourteen days! I'm hoping to be able to get there and shoot some video of the event. The first "real" test of the winch.

Anyways here's some piccies:

post-9137-0-01768600-1330545771_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-15275100-1330545780_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-13617000-1330545787_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-94188700-1330545799_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-86760900-1330545811_thumb.jpg

Can't see why not, That Nokken winch is a very nice piece of engineering and we're actually considering making something similar as you get a constant wire speed and much better control of the wire on the "collecting" drum. But there is quite some tech in making this all work in perfect harmony :)

That is crazy Søren!

Seemed a bit heavy/sluggish at the start, but I guess that was down to wire tensioning since it suddenly went like a rocket up the hill...

How much does wire and wheel speed differ on this car, and what ratio is the diff?

Yeah we are quite pleased as well, we didn't enter in any hopes of winning whatsoever, but at the first rounds, because of the winch we absolutely smoked the competition! But as the track got easier during the day a certain guy kept gaining and eventually, well deserved I might add, took the win. So a second place finish in his first comp of this type, is pretty good.

Actually what you are witnessing there is because of the winch/wheel difference, when there is too much grip on the tyres the winch doesn't spool in fast enough, hence why he tried to make the wheels spin to "pick up" the excess wire. But once he was on the slippery stuff it just went ahead