Rear storage draw - My latest project

I am happy to report that 'phase one' is now complete!! jump1.gif

Took advantage of a weather window and at 07:30 this morning made my way to Wickes to get a sheet of 12mm WPB ply, conference calls and kitten herding done for the morning and seeing another weather window I cut the sheet to produce the final 3 pieces for the top, these pieces were then covered with carpet ready for fitting.

It was the first time I had taken the Landy out with the unit in and maybe it was a placebo effect but the truck did seem to have less road noise so it looks like my foil lining has worked a treat. The only new noise I did get is what can only be described as a clunk, a quick check and it appears that when I move off the fridge slides back and clunks the back door!! this will need to be fixed with a latch of some type.

The centre section is fastened down with six bolts so it can be removed if I need to get into the unit and can't open the rear door for some reason, the sides are just pushed into place with the carpet holding them tight, this is the way that the FL2 boot shelf is held down and seem to work well so I copied the design, if it does start to jump around I will put some Velcro on the underside but at the moment they are quiet secure.

I refitted the dog guard and checked for fit, and then made and covered the panel that will sit above the fridge and house 3 12v sockets a 240v socket and a battery meter for the Aux battery that will go behind the fridge.

I then checked the clearance for the boxes that hold our clothes when we go away, I still plan to build a removal shelf above the boxes so we can stick coats and waterproofs up there and get to everything.

As I said, phase one is now complete phase 2 will be:

• Adding the aux battery electrics and fridge wiring
  • Sorting out the cooker shelf on the back door
  • Adding some LED lights under the unit
  • Adding some tie downs
  • Latch for the fridge
  • Figure out and make the 'sleeping platform'
  • Get a step for the tow bar!!

So just need to order some bits, fix the clunk and then I can push on with phase two.

Jason.

post-15513-0-93343500-1334935035_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-73396200-1334935070_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-80009300-1334935107_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-71923600-1334935167_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-03265300-1334935199_thumb.jpg

The insulation is this stuff I read more than I though was possible on closed cell, open cell & bitumen backed. In the end I went for the bitumen backed material it offers great insulation and sound deadening values but is thin and mould-able so ideal for getting around the contours of the back, one of my big issues is that the storage unit has been made so I can't alter the sizes of the wheel box.

That might solve my issues with Kettle's new tub - its full of odd holes, and I'm lothe to put a load of poprivets in to fill them up to stop them leaking, as once i put the carpet on, they'll show through. I'd guess that this stuff wouldn't mind covering a hole, and a bit of rain and muck wouldn't hurt it, and then I could fit the carpet over the top.

thinky....

That might solve my issues with Kettle's new tub - its full of odd holes, and I'm lothe to put a load of poprivets in to fill them up to stop them leaking, as once i put the carpet on, they'll show through. I'd guess that this stuff wouldn't mind covering a hole, and a bit of rain and muck wouldn't hurt it, and then I could fit the carpet over the top.

thinky....

I think it would be just the job, a couple of the old seat holes had lost their grommets in the back of my truck so I just covered them up!! If you PM me your address I can send you a little off cut if you want to test it?

Jason.

Just an update on this, I was going through my receipts tonight and the company I got the insulation from on eBay have a website, on checking the bits are a few quid cheaper and postage is also!!

Jason.

To be honest, not yet did you have something in mind? at the moment it is just stuffed with everything, I was looking at the space yesterday and there is more space when the seats are rolled forward so may make something that fits in when they are not in use and links to the sleeping platform.

My Eberspacher will be going under the seat so I can't put too much under there!!

Jason.

Similar to you mate - the kids tend to shove their sleeping bags, jackets, make-up, shoes etc etc in the space. So I was considering making a container that maximises all the space; it would be accessed from either side or front. Alternatively, I have considered fixing the water tank there, but this does mean that it would difficult to remove unlike my 20L container. The space is too small to house the gas bottle.

Anyone else utilised the space?

Jason, have you though about the space under the 2nd row seats?

I am really not impressed by this comment :angry2: ...... Sitting in the truck today I realised how much space I was not using under the seats and how much space there is!!! I had never give it a thought before but now I look at it!! As if I didn't have enough to do... I didn't have any plans and now I have about five sets of plans and four drawings!!! So thanks...

I will post up the drawings when they have been scaled but it looks like there is now a phase 1.5 to my rear storage project, I guess I need to get some more carpet and some more metal cut and bent now!!

I have also started to figure out the sleeping section of the rear storage unit I am going to make the frame from steal pipe that will fold up fairly small and may even go under my new middle seats storage system... :unsure:

Jason.

With all this storage Jason will you ever be able to find anything? It's bad enough just searching through my cubby box :)

It's fine Barry, I have a trick I make lists and label things so each box has a label on with it's contents also draws etc will be labelled so I can find stuff, I do the same with the trailer so inside the doors there are stickers with the contents of that locker and each box has a sticker on it so I am not forever hunting through stuff... This also helps other comply with my OCD and put stuff away in the correct place.

Jason.

OK,

So I have now started to think about a storage unit for under the seats and what I want from it, I like having a long storage space so will keep that at the bottom above that there is loads of space I think 2 or 3 hatches that allow for access to under the seats.

I guess I need to start doing some measurements and figure out materials, I was considering wood but that area is fairly 'wet' so I think it will be Zintec but got to check I can fit the unit first.

Cheers, Jason.

underseatstorage.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-22

underseatstorage1.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-22

What we're doing with The 109 is having a drop down 'shelf', which drops into the space in the middle when the rear seats fold forward. Its for this reason we've kept the low-back seats and not fitted much better rear seats. Thats said of course, ours is only intended for weekending, or running in conjunction with a 9x9, whereas you seem to be going for the longer haul. I do wonder if I'm doing the right thing sometimes......we're not having a fridge for example, but we don't intend taking it abroad either for example.

What we're doing with The 109 is having a drop down 'shelf', which drops into the space in the middle when the rear seats fold forward. Its for this reason we've kept the low-back seats and not fitted much better rear seats. Thats said of course, ours is only intended for weekending, or running in conjunction with a 9x9, whereas you seem to be going for the longer haul. I do wonder if I'm doing the right thing sometimes......we're not having a fridge for example, but we don't intend taking it abroad either for example.

When I designed the rear storage unit I had been looking around for ages I don't use the back of the truck for seating and dog guard cuts it off from the rest of the truck. As you may know I have two kids and they come with a lot of stuff... whilst the truck is not short of space everything we wanted always seems to be at the bottom...

So I needed something that I could stack my boxes in that would allow quick and easy access to everything without having to get everything out of the truck, we also needed to leave space around the fridge for ventilation which can be a PITA. By my calculations in a strange way this will allow me to store more as most things will be in boxes and I will be using the space more efficiently. A lot of our travel is in the UK with only a couple of trips being taken further afield, with many being weekends away when considering the unit I wanted the following configurations:

• Everyday use (although the truck is my second car)
  • Weekends away with family
  • Weekends away on own
  • Weekends away camping (with or without the trailer)
  • Longer UK camping trips
  • Camping trips further afield
  • Sleeping in the truck for trip to Norway

As I say the 110 is my Second car so I don't need it for everyday use, but the unit could be removed in less than half an hour, although it looks fairly fixed it can accommodate all of the above configurations, well will do when it's finished.

Personally I think you are missing a trick not having a fridge, it makes even UK travelling a whole load better, keeping food fresh keeps down cost and cuts down wastage. Having a decent meal at the end of a long day can be one of the most refreshing things, many people also add cold beer to this list, whilst this is also nice food or even cold water on a hot day is the biggest positive.

Although they are expensive you can pick them up for not a lot if you are willing to wait, the Engel fridge in the back of my truck is a 40L unit and cost me £100 whilst it has a few knocks on it, it works without an issue and makes travelling even UK comfortable and reduced the cost of buying food on the hoof which can quickly add up.

Jason.

I may think about it...to be honest, we've survived for years on the narrowboats without fridges. We bought milk every morning, and mostly ate out of tins (The youngest of the boats is 1958, and they're all working boats). I may end up with a camping trailer yet......

I may think about it...to be honest, we've survived for years on the narrowboats without fridges. We bought milk every morning, and mostly ate out of tins (The youngest of the boats is 1958, and they're all working boats). I may end up with a camping trailer yet......

Don't get me wrong I know it's easy to survive without fresh food, I myself have spent many weeks eating food that came in cardboard boxes with a range card on the side!! However fresh meat and a cold drink of water helps to make a good trip great, I enjoy my food and sitting down at the end of a long day and having a good meal really tops things off. The big thing I have noticed is that as we are able to keep things fresh we are not buying things just for a weekend away margarine sauces etc, we can also take food away that's in the fridge or has been cooked before we go, which means things can come from the home fridge keep cold for a trip and then go back in the fridge which really does reduce food costs and makes getting away more affordable.

Jason.

Jason, I'm looking forward to your under 2nd row storage solution. Who knows, there might be a business in this...................

I'm not talking to you... :angry2: please don't put any more ideas in my head!!

Jason.

Seriously mate I'm very interested in what you come up with.

I've moved since you got the bullbar - I'm now at Shrivenham, so might have to pop over for a look.

Not a problem, you are welcome to pop over any time, just don't come up with any more good ideas!! I started to figure things out last night with the aid of some CAD (Cardboard aided design) I will transfer it to drawing when I have finalise what will work, I may also add something in the middle to keep the kids apart and give them something to put there stuff in but not sure yet. The great thing about the unit is that it will allow me to fix the legs for my sleeping platform which fixed another challenge. The only bit I need to solve is how I fix it without drilling etc but I think the answer may lay with the seat fixings.

I am now stacked at work for the next few days but update when I get some time to take a look at it again, I will get away with 1.5mm Zintec so not adding to much weight. I need to work out access also but that's fairly easy.

Jason.