Rear storage draw - My latest project

A quick 1/2 hour with the sewing machine and a bag was made to store the bed poles it stops them rattling around keeps them together, the ties are deliberately long so that they can tie to the seat frames

wp000042w.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why I hadn't seen this already i do not know, but inspired with you making that cargo type netting... I re-built an old singer a few months ago, the needles are yet to be broken out of the grease!!! I know what my next wee sowing project will be!... just on ebay buying the webbing...

True Genius.

Good effort Jason!!!!, hmmm mega impressed actually.

Mav

Cheers Chris,

I was very happy with the way the nets turned out and how easy they were to make, my tip for making them would be to cut all of the bits first seal the ends by melting them lay them out and then mark them with tailors chalk including numbering them. that way they are fairly quick to sew as you know which bit goes where. When I made the first one I didn't do any of this and it took me a lot of time with all bits looking the same!! When I first started I was looking to weave the material but then realised it was easier just to sew it flat on top.

Jason.

Cheers Chris,

I was very happy with the way the nets turned out and how easy they were to make, my tip for making them would be to cut all of the bits first seal the ends by melting them lay them out and then mark them with tailors chalk including numbering them. that way they are fairly quick to sew as you know which bit goes where. When I made the first one I didn't do any of this and it took me a lot of time with all bits looking the same!! When I first started I was looking to weave the material but then realised it was easier just to sew it flat on top.

Jason.

Hmm a few more Q's for you. What size webbing did you use? it looks about 40mm stuff? also did you just use normal machine cotton or a nylon/polyester based thread?

The amount of work put in is imense! it looks brilliant - i did notice you;re using the back area as a bed... but you've not got any frilly curtains? :)

Hmm a few more Q's for you. What size webbing did you use? it looks about 40mm stuff? also did you just use normal machine cotton or a nylon/polyester based thread?

The amount of work put in is imense! it looks brilliant - i did notice you;re using the back area as a bed... but you've not got any frilly curtains? :)

OK the webbing is 50mm I got it from eBay the guy's listing was pick up only but I contacted him and he was happy to post, I brought two and got them posted together.

I used a 100% polyester Gutermann thread with a 100/16 needle I found I could sew 3 layers without an issue on a standard machine.

Once you get into the swing of it, it really didn't take that long as with all of these things the first one took me the longest time and then the others were easy.

Curtains wise I made some blinds http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=75339 I made them out of foil to keep the aliens from reading my thoughts when I sleep!! I guess I could line them with some chintzy material but have actually had a change of plan for the blinds if things work out. (stand by for future updates!!)

Jason.

OK so I used the bed for the first time on Friday night (well Saturday morning if truth be told!!) It was the first time that Mal, (my co-driver for Norway) had helped set it up, it took a long time.. Too long if I am honest, it will not work for Norway as it is just not practical but I guess that's what shake down testing is for.

So what now, well the good news is the bed was very comfy, despite the limited space we both slept very well, the mattress was great and two people can easily sleep in the space without discomfort.

I have decided for Norway I am going to remove the rear seats which will give me more storage so will probably look at how the bed is supported, I think I will retain the current legs but leave them up and trim the ends swapping the boards around and making the small board slot into the frame when we need the bed, but in effect leaving most of the bed and the mattress in place.

I approached the build considering it to be as multi purpose as possible but its just not going to be practical and I need to consider the Norway trip as a one off and build appropriately for that, as other times I would sleep in the RTT anyway.

Oh well the good news is the storage worked well, and with a little more thought as to where bits are stored and how I think will be optimised, I have a couple more chances to test the redesign before Norway but will post up the changes once made, which may even be tomorrow if I get time.

Cheers, Jason.

So pressing on with the prep for Norway which the storage unit is part of, I started to look at other insulation and came across these on eBay £8 plus postage and one was mine.

Originally I didn't know what they were made of so took the risk that I could craft a engine blanket out of them,

The pack arrived and I realised there would be loads. of material plus some extra rivits and straps:

wp000015y.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-08-02

wp000022b.jpg

But the best thing I realised that they were basically Nylon material covering closed cell foam lined with Aluminium, which is not cheap stuff!!

wp000019r.jpg

I therefore cut off the outer fabric and using the carpets as templates mad a set of insulation for the front, I used 3/4 of one of the big sheets so am left with enough to line the back and the door cards.

wp000055z.jpg

wp000059v.jpg

However with a roof to line and other bits to do I phoned the company up that sell them and made them an offer of £90 for six sets including delivery. So I now have enough for my truck and some extra ones for other people going on the trip.

They are a very close fit but will probably glue them with some spray adhesive and then seal the edges with some Aluminium tape.

Jason.

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from Holiday and am happy to report that the storage unit worked really well, I had a couple of little problems, the rivet on the fridge catch broke so will be replaced with a small bolt, oh and the spare leisure battery I fitted is duff and will need replacement, although it was not a problem as I have a twin battery setup in the truck anyway so we ran the fridge off my second battery.

The 240v hook up worked really well, I was not impressed with the battery charger and will be changing it for a C-Tec one the same as charges my front batteries.

The insulation also worked really well and made a big difference.

On the whole I couldn't fault it it worked exactly as planned and made things a lot easier to access, it also created a huge amount of space/extra storage which we didn't even fill!!

Jason.

• 3 months later...

I used the bed again over the weekend and although it is really comfy and works well, it's a little difficult getting changed as the seats have to be slid a little further forward.

I have therefore decided to cut the supports for the sleeping platform so that the seats can come further back, I have room as the mattress is not the full length of the bed platform, these little changes should really make a difference. However I am happy to report that it works well and we were toasty warm.

Jason.

i have just read this thread from start to finish and sm really impressed, you have an eye for detail. one thing that did cross my mind is do you have heavy duty springs to cope with all this weight

Hi Kierran,

It is sort of something I considered however the unit does not actually add that much weight because of it's construction. I used to carry the same amount of gear around in the back just not as organised and a PITA. A couple of years ago I built an Overland Trailer and I did find when fully loaded with the trailer on the truck was a bit 'sit up and beg' so I fitted Air Lift 1000 air spring helpers. I have Terrafirma medium springs which give the truck a 2" lift and the Air Helpers give me that bit extra I need.

However I did have helper pad blow out this year but Air Lift replaced it and I will mod the spring seat to stop it happening again.

Jason.