TD5 Electical woes

Hi, I am having major problems with a 2003 td5 110 defender.

It started with a failure to start (if you see what I mean). It turned over but would not fire. After flattening the battery I got her running with a bump start and drove it home without issue.

After getting it home when I try to start it I get nothing. Only the oil pressure light comes on on the dash, the starter dosent even click. I have fully charged the battery and still nothing. If the indicator is on when I turn on the ignition I get disco lights on the dash board with the temp gauge going off the scale all the dash lights coming on and alll the exterior lights glowing.

I have ordered a new indicator stalk but I doubt this is the issue. Do you think it might be the ECU? If so which one do I get and where from? Is it a straight swap, or is this some jiggery pokery involved?

Any / all suggestions / advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Check for oil in the ecu connections both in the engine bay and at the ecu.

My TD5 wouldn't start once after a 4 hour drive. Everything came on ok and as normal but when you turned the key nothing, not even trying to turn over. When I checked the starter motor I found it hanging from it's wires! All the bolts had fallen out on the 4 hour drive.

Right,

As it turns out it was an earth strap (chassis to engine), snapped clean orf!

I had a problem with the handbrake being stuck on but as I thought this was unrelated I never mentioned it, but it would appear that as there was no longer an earth, the handbrake cable was earthing between the gearbox and the body and had melted its plastic cover jamming the handbrake on!

Anyways, thanks for your help and advice. ;)

• 2 months later...