V8 Engine Pipework?

SHY 7G

I think that it's the other way round - not exhaust recirculation, but air injection, but still intended to reduce emissions, and still can be safely closed off. In fact this is the first time I have seen one of these with the pipework attached! More recent engines like mine (1996) still have the casting blanks but are not machined.

Agreed it's pulse air system, used on Cal spec cars amongst others and seen on repatriated classics. It wasn't used much on the UK because emissions moved on quite quickly once we got on the bandwagon but you see it on some ealry 90s cars prior to cats becoming the norm.

Without the rest of the system fitted and in good working order the pipework s just a pain, remove it and pretend it was never there.

Pulse air works by adding jets of air into the exhaust (it's meant to be callibrated) to get the exhaust gas burning again and lower CO emissions as well as NOx, if I remembr correclty. It does more than just dilute the exhaust.

It was very succesful in the post smog 1970s California market, I'm told.