Wiper Mounted Windscreen Washers

Spearos

Just ordered some of these - wanted to do this for a while but have had trouble sourcing parts for reasonable money (Maybe I'm just tight).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-washer-Jet-Fit-Wiper-Arm-Piece-/360390605277?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e8f439dd

Could be useful for anyone else wishing to do the same...

I tried something similar many years ago, on my series 3, and found that in winter the pipes on the wipers would freeze due to wind chill. I then fitted a heat exchanger on the supply pipe but the heat couldn't stop the pipe freezing even though the pipework under the bonnet was hot. I reverted back to normal jets.

Maybe if you can heat the pipes and the jet it would be fine.

I tried something similar many years ago, on my series 3, and found that in winter the pipes on the wipers would freeze due to wind chill. I then fitted a heat exchanger on the supply pipe but the heat couldn't stop the pipe freezing even though the pipework under the bonnet was hot. I reverted back to normal jets.

Maybe if you can heat the pipes and the jet it would be fine.

Something to think about - thanks for that :)

I plan to soft top my 110 van at some point which meants the rear washer jet is redundant. My plan was to install a second set of jets using the rear wash system at the top of the windscreen running the piperwork up through the interior trim keeping it out of the airflow and possibly using the superb landrover heating system, ahem, to heat the pipes at the same time.

I had mine freeze up this winter too. I then put in a screenwash with antifreeze without adding water to dilute and it worked a treat.

I don't dilute screen wash in winter at all, I still find it sometimes freezes on the jets dues to wind chill.

Will be heating the jets for this winter.

Heating the washer fluid is straight forward though. I had an adaptor that was a bit of pipe with a larger plastic barrel around it. The pipe plumbed into the radiator/heater pipe and the washer pipe plumbed into the barrel.

An easier way is to just wrap the washer pipe around the heater hose, or coil some copper brake pipe around a heater hose and then plumb in the washer pipe.

The washer reserviour on my car is right where the airflow causes it to freeze up. That will need heating too I think.

My RRC seems to have electrically heated washer jets. Not sure what circuit they come on with, possibly the heated rear window? I know the heated mirrors come on with the HRW.

Anyway, I wonder whether they could be adapted for use on a Defender???

I have home made sprinkler bars on my 90, fabbed up from a short length of copper brake pipe with lots of small holes drilled in the side. I've not had these freeze up, but I run neat screenwash fluid when it's that cold.

The underbonnet heat of the V8 may be helping :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I put a T joint in by the last washer jet on the transit and ran a length of pipe up the RH wiper arm (open, no jet on end). You'ld think all the water would disapear up the 4mm nylon pipe, but no, the standard jets work as normal.

I had an alterior motive to my 'mod'. Dirt in the lines kept blocking the jets. I expected the 'tap' to let the dirt out. It did ! I left it on. (Permanent tempory fix)