200Tdi normal running temperature

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

Had a non-original 88deg thermostat in my 110 and it would sit at 60 or 65 deg as a 'normal' operating temp for on-road 50 mph running then under load would climb to 80 or so and then the stat would open and it would very quickly drop to 65 again. So basically for normal running about it was sitting on 60 deg most of the time.

I put in a new LR original part, 88deg, and it now sits at 75 deg as normal and then creeps gently to just over 80 and opens and slowly drops again.

Am I right to assume that sitting at 75/80 deg is normal and that 60/65 was too cool?

Guest wunntenn

I know what you mean but the two stats were both marked as 88 deg. So presumably they both open at 88 deg.

However what their 'base' operating temps are seems to have varied by between 15 and 20 degrees, which makes me wonder what the 'correct' running temp is.

I've had several non-original stats and they seem to vary wildly in their 'base' operating temp and sometimes the max temp they open, even though marked as 88 deg. My temp guge is a proper dial guage marked in units so I have a good reference.

With proper and good thermostats, my 200Tdi as well as the 300Tdi (both having VDO gauges) are slightly below 90°C at speed on the open road. Driving on smaller roads and at low speeds, the engines don't heat up enough to open the thermostats unless during hot summer weather.

Guest wunntenn

Thanks Ralph. Whats puzzling me is that although they all seem to open at 88 degs the four I've tried from Britpart and Allmakes have all had varying 'base' temps that the vehicle would run at until the 'stat opens. I guess its a quality thing and non-genuine ones are not consistent in their operation. Which seems a bit odd for such a simple device. Anyway I've got the proper LR part in now so it must be right!

I've had this in the Audi, which also has an 88c stat.

The original 10 year old stat failed in a way that seemed to be passing water all the time, and as such the temp would struggle to get much above 60 in normal driving. It usually sits between 88 and 92 unless in traffic and its usually at 90c within 2-3miles.

Installed a new but cheap stat, which was fine initially then after a few months i noticed the guage creeping down when driving at high speeds with low load (motorway type driving) and the car starting to take longer and longer to warm up.

I was doing some engine work (timing belt etc) so i replaced the stat again with a cheap one, and this one was duff out the box and the engine wouldnt warm up at all, another replacement wouldnt open and had the engine up over 100c. So i ended up sacking off the local factors and baught one from a small mail order german parts firm, which was a quality branded part, and worked perfectly. Now it comes quickly up to 90c and stays there.

Landy-Novice: "Untouchable" happens at probably around 50c so thats no indication that things are working. Infact, 5 mins idling a diesel from cold shouldnt even open the stat, so the fact the rads getting hot that quickly indicates the stat is probably passing water when it shouldnt.

Having had a few temperature gauge issues with my 200tdi 110 I swapped the original gauge for a VDO gauge and sender.

Engine now runs between 88 and 90 deg, rising to maybe 92 when working hard eg. towing uphill.

It generally takes about 5 mins driving to reach operating temperature although I did notice in the extreme cold this winter (below -10) it struggled to get over 60.

I have a VDO gauge and sender. My temp guage goes up to about 88/89 and then drops which i assume is the thermostat opening to between 81/83 and stays there permanently. My rad is a fairly new heavy duty core one and i dont run a fan of any kind in any weather as it has never made a difference.