BF Goodrich Tyres - stick or change??

Getting to the time where I need to replace my tyres on the 110 300tdi. I've been using BF Goodrich T/A KO All-Terrain 235/85R16 and I must confess that I have been very very happy with these so I am planning on ordering a full set replacement.

However I thought it may be worth asking if anyone else has used an alternative (e.g Generall Grabber AT2 or Kumho etc) all terrain tyre of the same size and if so whether people think the alternatives are better or worse....

Also does anyone know what the standard/stock tyre size is for a 110 defender. Someone pointed out a useful site that tells you what your speedo difference will be wrt differing trye sizes (http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html). What is the size of trye that "should" relate to the correct speed on the speedo?

Stick with the BFG I have had a few different makes and still in my mind nothing beats the BFG.

I drove 25,000 miles off road around Aus on BFGs with no problems and the Tyres are still on the truck

Get good grip on and off road and good milage out of a set

So may be a bit more expensive but worth it

So may be a bit more expensive but worth it

Not really when you consider the mileage you tend to get out of them. The current set I have on the 110 were from the previous 90 since being on the 110 they've covered (almost) 30k and look exactly the same as when I put them on. The back tyres were replaced a thousand miles or so before we sold the 90 but I have a feeling that the front tyres were on the 90 when we got it (about 3 years before selling it) so may be approaching 50k by now...

I'm running same as you now, but was running Cooper Discoverer S/T. They're just too expensive now. Plenty of Coopers being run in Aussie, they have a huge anti-chipping quality on gravel roads.

Anti-chipping? never heard that phrase, does it mean they don't pick up gravel chips? or they don't get chipped? just curious :)

Anti-chipping? never heard that phrase, does it mean they don't pick up gravel chips? or they don't get chipped? just curious :)

They don't get chipped. The rubber is some particularly tear-resistant blend Cooper have come up with. The S/T and S/TT are pretty good and the S/TC is even better. Aussie gravel roads are notorious and it takes a remarkable tyre to cope with any distance on them. I did manage to bust a Cooper here in NZ, rubbing up against a lump of scoria (volcanic rock) that tore the sidewall, scoria is pretty gnarly.

I had this dilema when i changed my last set of tyres. I had nearly 80k out ofthe BFGs (as above, they were really changed because they were old and beginning to perish, rather than lack of tread). I did wonder if i was missing anything with the other makes, but since i had absolutely no problem at all with the BFG AT, i decided to stick with it.

If you like them and have no problems with them, get them again.

I'm glad you all seem to agree. Gotta say when it comes to 4x4 tyres the budget end aren't that much cheaper so given the time the BFGs seem to last I think the premium here with Goodrich is well worth it. As I mentioned though I have seen General Grabbers AT2 and Coopers ST / STT and they look the buisiness so wanted to give them a fair chance too.......Gonna order the BFGs now mind and pray the rest of the MOT isn't too horrific!!!!

I'm glad you all seem to agree. Gotta say when it comes to 4x4 tyres the budget end aren't that much cheaper so given the time the BFGs seem to last I think the premium here with Goodrich is well worth it. As I mentioned though I have seen General Grabbers AT2 and Coopers ST / STT and they look the buisiness so wanted to give them a fair chance too.......Gonna order the BFGs now mind and pray the rest of the MOT isn't too horrific!!!!

where are you getting the tyres from ?

where are you getting the tyres from ?

Hmmm not sure anymore? I was originally planning on quickly searching for the cheapest deal on the online/mail-order sites and get them put on and balanced somewhere down here. Never bought landy tyres locally so dunno if there's anyone elsewhere in Cornwall that does BFGs as cheap.

However at some point in the next 9 days I've got to drive to Suffolk so I have the option of finding a bigger 4x4 centre that may put em all on for a good price. Someone pointed out http://www.blackcircles.com/ where you can order online and get fitted a garages all over the country. One of their so called recomended "Premium" fitting centres happens to be 1 mile from where I'll be staying at some point for a few days.....£602 fully fitted and balanced. Can we beat that locally?

I got mine a lot cheaper than that from Devon 4x4 with wheels included. I dont know what their current prices are, but might be worth a call. Delivery is free on the amount you'll be spending (curiously, they wouldnt give me a discount if i collected them when i was down that way and effectivley saved them the postage cost - didnt make sense to me, but i still bought them and had them delivered).

Stay away from Trak Edges - I lost two on the 127" - both times on motorway at about 65. One split from bead to tread (hell of a 'bang') the other decided to throw the tread. Still had marks on the paintwork when I sold a year later. Replaced with ATs, which I'd used on an earlier Range Rover - over 50k miles before needing replacment.

Cheers,

Stay away from Trak Edges - I lost two on the 127" - both times on motorway at about 65. One split from bead to tread (hell of a 'bang') the other decided to throw the tread. Still had marks on the paintwork when I sold a year later. Replaced with ATs, which I'd used on an earlier Range Rover - over 50k miles before needing replacment.

Cheers,

Ouch, nasty.....

Cheers,

That's genuinely the first negative thing I've heard about the Trac Edges. I've been quite impressed with mine in terms of performance off road, given how worn they are. Only changing them now because I'm going up a size and they're getting on a bit (8 years old) and starting to crack at the sidewalls slightly.