Darin Tap On Bellhousing

SteveG

What's the purpose of this tap?? I assume that the bell housing takes in water gradually and hence drain tap?? Is this correct??

Should the tap be open all times apart from wading? Lastly if I'm having a 'homer' moment and forget to put it in what's the likely issues??

Cheers

Steve

It's on the bottom of the bellhousing.

It's a brass drain tap (no typo this time ;) ) on the bottom of the bellhousing. Looked quickly on rimmer bros and there is supposed to be either a drain tap or drain plug there. I can take a pic tomorrow if you insist!! ;);)

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

The bellhousing needs to be allowed to drain of either water getting in from the outside or oil getting in past seals on the box or engine. If you keep it shut then over time, you may develop a leak on one of the seals and not know until the clutch starts to slip. :blink:

It is normal for a bit of oil to come out (the odd drip) and you could leave it shut and just check it occasonally or just leave it open all of the time. :)

Steve's got big problems if his clutch starts slipping :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you have a tap fitted for convenience where most have wading plugs. It's to let oil and water out, either leave open and close for wading/off roading or leave closed and check/drain periocically.