Magnetic Drain plug

Changed the front axle oil for the first time since the rebuild, so also the first time with the new X-Eng diff plug.

How much is a normal amount of metal bits to be attached to the magnet? There was quite a bit more than I was expecting? :unsure: really wish I had taken a picture now.

Other question, which is the best place to have the magnetic plug? I did have it on the filler hole, but on reassembly yesterday I put it in the drain hole. I think the eventual plan would be to have one in both....

It would make send to me to put in on the drain plug... gravity helping to get the "bits" down there more than up to the filler. As for how much bits? Don't know, but I had a fair mushroom of bit on the transfer case plug (which is magnetic).

I have them in both filler and drain

There are 2 x types of "Stuff" you'll find. often its really really fine stuff, if you rub it between thumb and finger its like paste,

and will be not just from the mechanical bits but the new oil will "Wash" stuff thats been in the casing for years, and then it will find the plug(s) and stick to it

The 2nd "Stuff" is big chunks, teeth and bits of metal bigger than say half a matchstick head, this is not such good news, the bigger the lump(s) the worse

the news :rofl: Even so, if anything has ever gone "pop" with a casing, even heavy cleaning things can lodge in - and then dislodge, but they shouldn't reappear

much or less with each oil changes.

I know there will be some fine "Stuff" pretty much everytime I change the oils (which I do regularly) the magnetic plugs help keep the oil in better condition

thing of it like a filter

Also good on primary gearbox, and tenasfer box, and engines, I have them on all :D

HTH

Nige

That Zim is different - thats called "Ruffarseitus" and the bits and sizes and numbers of "Bits" are proportional to a slamming of the right foot and swearing when having a giant paddy :D

It is also accompanied by "Music" a sort of gurrr gurrr whine whine squeal squeal ker kiiing pop F BANG :ph34r: with " W T F was THAT ???" sung as a chorus :D

Nige