Rear brakes leak puddle overnight

eds

I came out to find a puddle of brake fluid on the rear wheel all over the tyre and road.

How can so much fluid leak?

Is the brake system permanently pressured?

I notice on Les' thread that he blocks off the brake pipe whilst changing the wheel cylinders.

Am I in for a real chore bleeding the new brake cylinders now that it has leaked all over the road?

Will it damage my tyre?

Last time I tried to change some wheel cylinders on a metro I had to give up due to my failings.

Are Defenders quite easy to bleed?

Ed

I came out to find a puddle of brake fluid on the rear wheel all over the tyre and road.

How can so much fluid leak? probably a seal gone in wheel cylinder

Is the brake system permanently pressured? No

I notice on Les' thread that he blocks off the brake pipe whilst changing the wheel cylinders. usually clamp hose to stop fluid leaking out and decreases amount of bleeding needed

Am I in for a real chore bleeding the new brake cylinders now that it has leaked all over the road? YES You will have lost lot of fluid look at m/cyl reservoir and prob find one section empty You also need to find source of leak and repair it

Will it damage my tyre? No, just wash of with soapy water

Last time I tried to change some wheel cylinders on a metro I had to give up due to my failings. Have you got a manual or a mate with more idea , as its not tech difficult

Are Defenders quite easy to bleed? Yes nothing fancy

HTSH

It happened to me tuther week, didn't realise until I reversed out of the garage and didn't stop :o then found the suspect puddle. Rebuilt both front calipers with new pots and seals then bled each corner to be sure. Going to do the back when I've replaced the rear axle with a disco disk brake axle.

It could be eventful it happening out on the road if it floods out quite quickly. :blink: Thankfully mine went overnight too

Thanks for the replies

I know it is the rear wheel cylinder leaking

Is it really likely to have emptied the fluid reservoir?

I've ordered some Lockhead replacements @12.50 each seemed good value.

The Delphi ones were 36 each, not sure what the difference would be..........

Yup, its drains pretty much all the oil out the resovior and upper system, you should now treat the system as though it has been totally emptied, I'd recomend bleeding all your breakes after you fix the problem.

I had exactly the same happen to one of my front calipers. it seems to be the way they fail.

Mav

The reservoir is chambered - front to back brakes, so unless you have a leak on the front, then only the rear needs attention. If you look at the reservoir you will see that what appears to be half of it still has fluid in it (but at a low level). The seal failure will mean that it's likely that the fluid has drained right out, so both back brakes will need to be bled (they are joined on the rear axle). If the fluid has got on the brake shoes (and it's highly likely if you have been driving it), then the shoes will have to be replaced (axle set is both sides, so you have to). Note the position of the springs before you take them apart (people quite often get the arrangement wrong). Turn the adjuster snails to minimum as well, but expect them to be siezed.

So strip, zero the snails, clean up, fit new cylinder, fit new shoes (and springs if necessary).

Bleed the system witrh either a pressure ,(remember the max pressure of using it),or vaccuum bleeder, or get some one to help with the old 'press', 'release', sytem. Fluid is DOT4 mineral, and 1/2 litre should be enough.

Les.

Thanks Les for that!

Alarmingly before last week I had to top up my resevoir, obviously the problem had started.

I found in the shed this fluid which was DOT 4 but I can not tell whether it is synthetic or mineral.

It says it contains polyalkelene glycerol ethers

It also says don't use in some vehicles as they need LHM mineral fluid.

Have I done wrong or is this just normal mineral brake fluid.

Uploading pics is impossible to fathom, I have tried to here!

https://picasaweb.google.com/edward.hignett/NewFolder?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOfzqbDawqmDuQE&feat=directlink

I have googled polyalkelene glycerol ethers and it leads me to believe this is standard mineral brake fluid.

I am putting aside my anxiety unless someone says otherwise.

The only other query is if it was half open for a few years before use does that matter.

People say it has to be a sealed bottle, this had its lid on but was half used so no silver seal.

Does it matter?

If the main lid was screwed on, then it'll be fine to use.

If you buy a bottle to top up occasionally, then chucking it away after using a small amount is plainly ridiculous. Brake fluid is poisonous, so a secondary seal (the foil), is just a safety measure.

Les.