AWDC CHALLENGER 4x4 -DATES FOR 2012

Soliholic

All go as far as I'm concerned... Think Paul and Lucy are a bit under the cosh at work at the mo...

Feel free to add some banter!!

Oh no, I let my photographs do the talking!

I have noticed how the banter is usually aimed at poor old Chris Kelly though!

I nearly didn't see him today as his truck has changed somewhat to last year - looks good Chris!

I found him in his usual place though:

IMGP0166.jpg

and then later had to get out of his way:

IMGP0208.jpg

Only joking Chris! Glad you fixed your winch problem relatively quickly!

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Spectators are usually always welcome at these events, just turn up (I'm sure that Lucy the event organiser will be along to confirm this as I've not competed at this site before)

Some helpful hints:-

Come prepared with good boots/wellies and waterproofs/sun cream (I wish)

Prepare for a lot of walking as spectators are not normally allowed to drive around the site and the spectator car park can be some distance away

Bring a camera.

If you are bringing children it is wise to have hi-vis waistcoats for them.

If you want to bring a dog, then it is best to contact Lucy the event organiser before hand to check if this is OK, as this can depend on the site.

Introduce yourself, everybody is friendly at these events.

Or just give Lucy a call (Her contact details are at the start of this thread)

Bridgnorth site access, what is it like? Anybody got local knowledge?

As normal we will be bringing the big bus, from the satellite entry in to the site looks good, but we will have to make a bit of a detour to get to the site due to the low bridge on the B4363 from Bridgnorth to Oldbury.

Anybody know the best alternative for a large vehicle, the options look like:-

The B4364 Ludlow Rd from Bridgnorth (A458) looks best but it is sign posted as (Light traffic only), what ever that means as there seems to be no weight restriction, then turn left towards the site

or

The B4555 from Bridgnorth towards Eardington then across Halfway House Ln to the site.

just makesure you stay off the grass with the bus, the site is a nightmare to get on and off in the dry let alone if its abit wet.

bob has put a hardcore track in uptop so your best to stay on that.

the road and entrance is pretty narrow but you should be fine as its not as tight as it was at tuff terrains to get in and out.

pm bob (treebloke) for instructions though as it is a working field still.

see you there

I did spend 20 mins replying today and then the goddam PC locked up. Best route for a high vehicle is and assuming you will be coming from M5 J4, head to kidderminster and take A442 to Bridgnorth,

when you get to the island where A454 crosses the A442 turn left towards Shrewsbury you will go over the river severn and up the bypass to another island, turn left again onto the B4364 and go past the Punch Bowl pub on your right and take next left turn which is approx 3/4 mile from your last turn at the island, go for approx 3/4 mile and bear/turn right onto B4363, you will pass the Halfway House pub on your left and then start to drop down the hill to a hairpin bend (artics cross it ok), after the hairpin we are the second field entrance on the left. It will be obvious which it is.

If you are unsure pm me and I will send you my mobile number.

WV16 5LS will take you to the Halfway House pub, we are another 1/2 mile further on if you are travelling from Bridgnorth. The low bridge as you come out of Bridgnorth if you take the B4363 is 12'-6".

The nearest garage if you need one is on the A442 just a 1/2 mile north of the junction with the A454 mentioned above.

i have used Bobs site many times both to compete and organise.

to say the site is a nightmare to get on and off of in the dry i think is completely out of sync and does a mis justice to Bob in relation to all the hard work he has put in to making the site more accessible.

there is a good open turning off the tarmac road through two gates which then lead you onto a gravel track. granted i accept that once off this track your options are limited, it is after all a field, but then again as are most of the sites i have been to in the past - Cwrn and Kirton are exceptions i have used.

It can be hard going compared to driving into an industrial estate i agree but then as seasoned off roaders we should all have the common sense to be able to pick a route and find something suitable from what is on offer for parking. Dont forget you have a challenge truck on the trailer/lorry that can always assist rather than hinder too. On top of that if its wet Bob has always had plant on hand and has himself been available to tow stricken vehicles off the site.

Access i would say is good. parking can be limited in the wet - once off the track. in the dry there should be no problems from parking perspectives.

Good site owners with good sites are hard to find. we should be highlighting the positives about the sites rather than potentially putting off people intending to come by over exaggerating issues - which for the majority don't seem to exist.

If any one is still unsure where we are or how to find us

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=371041&Y=290638&A=Y&Z=120&ax=370901&ay=289753

If the weather is wet then parking will be restricted to the top of the field and this will be obvious because it will be taped off. If it is dry we can go down the hill to the middle entrance which is a better proposition because that is where we have the bonfire. The fields are normally cut for hay around about now but it has been to wet so we will have to see how it goes.

By the time you turn up we should have the mains water connected to a stand pipe and there are portaloos on site.

The local caterer (neighbouring farmer) has agreed to be on site and he is normally up and running around 7.30am.

There will be various tractors, Unimog or JCB on site to deal with anyone who might get stuck, for references please ask Saley :o .

No lake but your winch motors will be warm by the end of the day. Its a bit slippy at the moment.

The bogs might be a bit deep though. :o Slippy? just a bit, easier to drive than walk. see you there :)

Whoops pressed the post button twice, it's not the beer honest :lol:

Hello all, entries for next weekend are as follows:

Class 1

Richard Nicholson & TBC

Andrew Beck & Sean Rutland

Barry Gee & TBC

Dan Thomas & TBC

John Hoole & TBC

Jake Cooper & Sean Jeffries

Gary Reed & Dan Taylor

George Howard & Jo Philpot

Wayne Newton & Simon ?

Class 2

Mark Sinclair & Roy Higgs

Peter Mead & Brian Mutton

Rupert Denne & Nicky Mileham

Kevin Moss & Tom Fall

Mark Millen & Andy Pearce

Steve Lait & Johnathan Bird

Ryan Stimpson & Tom Joliffe

Tom Sharp & Mark Foster

Class 3

Andrew Wolfe & Ben Wolfe

Henry Papworth & Sam Read

As you may be aware the LRS Challenge has been cancelled due to site issues. If you were due to do that event and would like to compete in ours instead there is still room. All I need is for you to send me a text message with your name, your co-drivers name your vehicle details and your class.

If you are coming and your name is not listed above please call me asap.

Lucy Bass

Some more editions..

Class 1

Richard Nicholson & TBC

Andrew Beck & Sean Rutland

Barry Gee & TBC

Dan Thomas & TBC

John Hoole & TBC

Jake Cooper & Sean Jeffries

Gary Reed & Dan Taylor

George Howard & Jo Philpot

Wayne Newton & Simon ?

Richard Fear & Steve Dunleavy

John Bonner & TBC

Chris Booth & Tom Booth

Class 2

Mark Sinclair & Roy Higgs

Peter Mead & Brian Mutton

Rupert Denne & Nicky Mileham

Kevin Moss & Tom Fall

Mark Millen & Andy Pearce

Steve Lait & Johnathan Bird

Ryan Stimpson & Tom Joliffe

Tom Sharp & Mark Foster

Class 3

Andrew Wolfe & Ben Wolfe

Henry Papworth & Sam Read

Ben Mark & Chris Sutcliffe

not long now hows the ground looking bob ?

lucy my co driver will be Damon Tomkinson.

barry gee will have alan web

and jon hoole will have rhys hardy

see you sunday

dan

The wood will be ok simply because your trucks are built for these conditions but the camping field is wet, very very wet. I can see parking being an issue.

We are hoping to cut an acre of grass tomorrow in order for you to park and camp but it has rained every day since ?, I cant remember a day when it didn't rain. You must bear in mind the field you are camping on should have been cut and baled for hay weeks ago.

What is the entrance to the site like? Is it a road or farm track? Just wondering if I come in the golf and same time + fuel, or the disco (not to compete in :-p)

The entrance to the site is fine. However, If your coming to a wet and soggy field in a golf I would say think again, find an alternative. There is most definately NO PARKING ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY.