Disco 2 transfer box rebuild

plasticbadger

I'm looking for some help. My well-used disco 2 td5 has been leaking oil from the transfer box for the last 30,000 miles! I keep it well topped up, but some heavy towing on and off road in the summer while the level was low has left the 'box whining around 60 mph.

My plan is to take a few days off next week and drop the transfer box and replace the worn parts. But what should I plan to replace? I thought maybe the input shaft bearings would be the likely culprit, but I could buy a complete rebuild kit of all the bearings and seals for £100.

OK, so my plans have snow-balled a bit. I've decided that while I'm taking the truck apart I should fix the rest of it's faults. So I now have on order a new clutch kit, spigot bearing, exhaust downpipe, radiator and the rusty side steps are coming off. It's going to be a tough weekend!

Back to the transfer box though, I'm not sure about fully rebuilding the 'box and it seems to be a common worry as the full bearing kit seems hard to come by. I don't want to do all this work and not fix my fault if I only do the input shaft bearings. I've looked at an Ashcroft recon unit and second hand units on ebay and they're £450 and £250 respectively - all a bit pricey when you add the other parts.

Does anyone know if you can fit a TDi age transfer box, just re-dressed with the correct Td5 hand brake etc?

The core casing of the LT230 is the same so as long as its a later rather than earlier Tdi transfer box then you will be fine. Earlier ones had corser cut gears and more importantly no crossdrilled input gear leading to gearbox exit shaft spline wear. I have done a few LT230 rebuilds and they are a piece of cake to do. Only thing is you cant order the required bearing shims before hand as you need to measure up for the bearing preload.

The overhaul kits are not hard to come by and not badly priced either

http://www.shop4autoparts.net/Discovery-2/Gearbox/Transfer-Box/Overhaul-Kits

I recommend paper gaskets instead of instant gasket anytime!

Well, I took Friday and Monday off work as planned to carry out the repairs. I got the truck stripped down on Friday and then Saturday I fitted the new clutch and spigot bearing, then swapped the new transfer box on to the gearbox and re-installed the gearbox with the help of my Dad. Sunday was spent re-fitted everything else including the new exhaust, changing and re-filling oils and fitting the new radiator.

A quick spin on Sunday evening confirmed that the new clutch and exhaust are a massive improvement, but my 'noise' at around 60mph is still present. It seems quieter and perhaps occurs at a higher speed now, like 60 to 70 instead of 55 to 65. I checked the props when they were out and didn't feel too much wear, so I'm thinking rear axle or wheel bearing?

Then Monday was spent driving 80 miles to collect a new caravan, towing it 80 miles to Swindon to store it until my Chevy project is finished and then 80 miles home. No faults, but still a rumble/vibration at 65ish. A good shake down run though!