TD5 Hot fuel Filter and split charge set-up

elmscroft

Hi All,

Have just changed the fuel filter on our 2001 Discovery, only to find the tank pump is a little noisy, possibly air as it is getting better, but more puzzled that the new filter gets hot after about 10 minutes driving. Is this normal? Drives Ok. Also currently using a smartcom split charge relay which seems to struggle to power caravan fridge, whist running inverter and X-box from vechile battery, standard alternator,

Anyone come across a better set-up. Would be very grateful on either issues.

Many Thanks

Mike

I can't say I have felt a Td5 fuel filter but I should think it would get hot as the fuel rail feeding the injectors runs through drillings in the cylinder head so would pick up a lot of heat in a short time. It is not unusual for the pump to make a little noise after a filter change, but if it is still there after 30 min or so driving, then you may have an impending fuel pump problem - they do quite often get noisy for a while prior to suddenly going very quiet!

Split charge: check out www.x-eng.co.uk By all accounts a fairly solid split charge unit :)

i used to have a mate with a 51reg Td5, he told me it had a heated fuel filter. i seem to remember the temp of 70C mentioned, i assume it prevents poor running when cold etc.

i know some peugeots run heated filters too so its not unknown.

Guest diesel_jim

I just looked at my rave, it shows no mentione of a heated filter.

there is a fuel cooler up near the engine though, so mayeb the filters do get hot (from the spill rail) and the cooler is needed to help with the silky smooth Td5 running? :rolleyes:

• 13 years later...