.... and I thought my MPG was low with the V8!

V8 Freak

Just read this in a BBC report...

"Rear Admiral Morisetti recalled that when commanding an aircraft carrier, it took a gallon of oil to move just 12 inches (30cm), while as many as 20 tonnes per hour were burned during a period of intensive take-off and landing."

I feel quite good at 14MPG now.....

Full article here if interested.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15342682

Neil

WW2 M26 'dragon wagon' tank transporter with it's 17 litre Hall-Scot petrol engine - 0.7mpg (unladen)! Engines do tend to drink fuel in marine application ie the GMC DUKW (4.4 litre petrol) burned about five times the fuel (per mile) swimming than it did on the road. Aircraft seem to come out the best ie Avro Lancaster (four engines) at just over 1mpg. By comparison my 3.5efi auto will return 22 on long trips, inc a high percentage of motorways, so I'm content with that.

What speed is that 22mpg at g&t?

Total round trip of 630 miles, about 500 of which was motorway/duel carriageway most of which was at 70 mph. Car has done 46k, original spec. & running standard 205 section tyres.