Sign in to follow this  
V8 Freak

.... and I thought my MPG was low with the V8!

Just read this in a BBC report...

"Rear Admiral Morisetti recalled that when commanding an aircraft carrier, it took a gallon of oil to move just 12 inches (30cm), while as many as 20 tonnes per hour were burned during a period of intensive take-off and landing."

I feel quite good at 14MPG now.....

Full article here if interested.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15342682

Neil

Yup, pretty standard.

The boats I'm on (considerably smaller) will quite happily chew through 2 tonnes per hr.

However, if you look at the fuel consumption per kwh, you'll find its much lower than a v8. A marine diesel can approach 45% thermal efficiency.

Just read an article in a Noggy newspaper about the Arctic Trucks expedition to the S.Pole. Averrage fuel consumption was

2.2Km/ L using 3.0L Toyota Hi-Lux (slightly modified).

WW2 M26 'dragon wagon' tank transporter with it's 17 litre Hall-Scot petrol engine - 0.7mpg (unladen)! Engines do tend to drink fuel in marine application ie the GMC DUKW (4.4 litre petrol) burned about five times the fuel (per mile) swimming than it did on the road. Aircraft seem to come out the best ie Avro Lancaster (four engines) at just over 1mpg. By comparison my 3.5efi auto will return 22 on long trips, inc a high percentage of motorways, so I'm content with that.

I used to own an Audi A8 4.2 Quattro

I worked out over 2 weeks of short trips to work by my wife it was doing 8mpg

On the third week it was in Autotrader

brian had a range of mpg, varying from 35 to less than 16 i try to keep it in the middle

What speed is that 22mpg at g&t?

Total round trip of 630 miles, about 500 of which was motorway/duel carriageway most of which was at 70 mph. Car has done 46k, original spec. & running standard 205 section tyres.

I generally get 2gpm from my 3.9 V8 during a competition :blush:

If, and I do mean if... the wind is my way double figures are nice, for a change. V8's do sound nice though.

The Flagship vessel of the company I work for burns massive amounts, but then it is fairly large:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Saipem_7000 :i-m_so_happy:

U.G.L.Y - if we're getting into a pissing match of who's boat is best, I'm going to submit mine http://www.shipbuilding-industry.eu/shipbuilding_v2/?tag=seven-borealis ^_^