• Changed clutch plate and flywheel
  • Mounted everything back
  • Bleeded clutch pedal well enough

Started truck and what happened;

• No engagement
  • clutch changes when not started but refuses when started
  • Prop atempts to rotate but never gets engaged

What I did;

• Engaged traction to which truck flew in air and crashed wooden structure ( passer by jumped scared stiff to death :wacko: )

What have I done wrong now? misaligned the gears? Borrowed pics from Les. I did allign this to the best as I could. Most likely a little mis-allign?

Getting to the verge of dumping truck.. :unsure:

post-7610-0-83283300-1319187122_thumb.jpg

Sorry, its maybe lost in translation, so are you saying when you press the clutch pedal down it does not disengage the drive?

i.e when you start the truck in Neutral, engine running, it wont go into gear as you cannot dis-engage the drive.

Did you replace the clutch cover with the new clutch plate too? - was it identical to the one you took off? - why did you change the flywheel?

Did you move the gearbox back to access the clutch, or move the engine forward?

How does the clutch pedal feel comapred to "usual" lighter, harder? etc.

Cheers

Mav

Sorry, its maybe lost in translation, so are you saying when you press the clutch pedal down it does not disengage the drive?

i.e when you start the truck in Neutral, engine running, it wont go into gear as you cannot dis-engage the drive.

Yes Mav. When in neutral, and the motor is on, it does not engage at all. but when motor goes off it does.

Did you replace the clutch cover with the new clutch plate too? - was it identical to the one you took off? - why did you change the flywheel?

Yes I changed both since I was in there. Many have suggested that.They look quite identical (Valeo)

Did you move the gearbox back to access the clutch, or move the engine forward?

I moved the Gbox and tranny to get access

How does the clutch pedal feel comapred to "usual" lighter, harder? etc.

Pedal was flat to start with and with engine on, I "aired2 it til it was quite hard. ( not stone hard :blush: )

Cheers

Mav

Thanks Mav for concern....

Did you pressure blead the clutch? by that i mean fluid forced in under pressure rather than pumping the pedal, would give this a go first i think, a new clutch will be close to the floor so if the systems not right that could be the issue

As Boro says, pressure bleed the clutch don't just pump the pedal as it wont get all the air out in most cases. When fitting my new clutch the pedal was flat to the floor and really slack so I bled it the old school way by pumping the pedal which seemed to work at first until I was out on the road an hour later and the pedal went slack again and i couldn't engage gear. After pumping it vigorously for a minute it came back stiff, which mean't I still had air in the system. I bought a pressure bleeding kit which works off the tyre pressure and it worked a treat and pushed all the air out. Never had a problem with it since.

If the plate is on the wrong way round it'll do this. I did it once and had to take the whole thing apart again :(

Hope it's something external.

Les.

Hi Les, do you know why that is? (back to front)? i thought the clutch plate was symetrical?

The centre is offset. I did the clutch on a TD5 90 and the only way the clutch would change was if I pumped the pedal like mad and then it would go in gear, but crunch as it did so. Took it apart, turned the plate round, and it was fine. It may be worth saying that it's common for the clutch to be difficult until a few miles have been put on it.

Les.

I took pics before taking it apart. It did engage once but -JUMPED TO REVERSE and to forward when I tickled the transfer gear.SÃ¥ it is catching but not fully. If I did it fix it the wrong way I aint gonna go through the pain. I will sell it!!!! ^_^

yes id suggest that you have the clutch back to front, flush edge goes to flywheel, theres usually FS stamped onto the flywheel side. or has the clutch fork come insettled inside the bellhousing meaning it cant move properly? you can change gear with no pedal when the engine is switched off normally anyway.

yes id suggest that you have the clutch back to front, flush edge goes to flywheel, theres usually FS stamped onto the flywheel side. or has the clutch fork come insettled inside the bellhousing meaning it cant move properly? you can change gear with no pedal when the engine is switched off normally anyway.

This is how it looked like before and after.

"has the clutch fork come insettled inside the bellhousing meaning it cant move properly? " That sounds like it maybe??

post-7610-0-59895500-1319608347_thumb.jpg

post-7610-0-79622300-1319608374_thumb.jpg

post-7610-0-02343600-1319608627_thumb.jpg

Latest update this morning.

1. Truck runs at 80km/h om highway and revs like hell
  2. At 40 when I attempt gear change it slips (grrrrrrrr brrrrr)
  3. It needs regular pump on clutch to change.

What i've done:

1. New slave cylinder

What I am thinking out loud.

1. Should I change the master cylinder?
  2. Check clutch push rod to see if it is ejected or loose :unsure: ?

Getting a little bit fed up. might put the truck soon on a 10 pounder-sale!! :angry2:

Is worth looking very closely at the hydraulics, they do all the work.

Did you change the push/actuator rod in the bell housing, when you did the change?

Andy

No I did not change it since it looked roundishly fine. I am suspecting the Master needs a change but it is a swine of a job and that bores me... (: :glare: