Disco 1 fan motor

Les Henson

Bugger - it's a 200 :(

I can see the main box (I take it that the motor is inside that in the same way as it is in a lot of euroboxes?) - low down at the side of the pedals. Is there not enough room to remove it sideways if everything but the dash itself is out of the way?

Les.

The only way to get to the fan is to remove the whole dash. The fan sits in the centre of the heater unit so the whole unit has to be removed to get at all the clips. With the clips removed unit then splits in two down the middle and the fan motor unscrews from one half of the housing. I would say you need to allow a full day to do the job

I can confirm that you have to remove the dash in a Disco200. Getting at the motor is really tricky. Once the heater unit is removed from the vehicle and all the clips and fastenings holding the two parts of the plastic heater case are off, you have to deflect (distort?) the front of the case almost to breaking point to clear the fresh-air/recirc flap and draw the two halves of the case appart. Persevere and it will happen but it seemed an impossible task to me initially. Take care not to damage the foam seal glued to the face of this flap. I did, and had to replace it! Once the two halves are appart, the motor/fan unit can be removed easily. Re-assembly is fiddly to get all the flaps lined up and into their locating holes whilst bending the case again and sliding the front flap in place. Be careful to get the plastic mouldings at the control box correctly located whilst you are concentrating on the front flap. The plastic case is stronger than you might think and can be prised out of shape to clear the flap. Good luck!