Range Rover Classic Diesel

ebdesignDEFENDER

Hello all RRC friends.(first sorry for my English)

I need an right advice. I was allways a great fan RRC its just an special car. Now I have a chance to by one.

Problem is theat I can not chose:

I have an RRC 1989 Diesel Price 1000euro

post-8654-0-15330600-1319572589_thumb.jpg

an RRC 1993 Diesel with more features. Price 2800euro

post-8654-0-67932800-1319572601_thumb.jpg

I realy dont know what kind of engine are there but I know theat are 2,4 or 2,5 D. Can you help me with more "details" about these cars ?

I`ve just finded them on internet and I need to see them but wich is better, wich worth to see ?

P.S. I live in Germany and these cars are for sale in Germany.

Thank you very much.

Italian made VM diesel has a bad reputation, best to avoid.

Range Rover is very similar to Defender otherwise - chassis, suspension, axles, so same possible problems.

More chance of rust on the body - more of it is made of steel than a defender. Check floor in the load area, wheel arches inside the back doors, floor in front area, sills, body mounting points, 'A' pillar.

More chance of electrical problems than a Defender - electric windows, central locking etc can be unreliable.

Also find out which gearbox they use, so you can prepare yourself for any specific problems. I think they will use LT77 though unless auto.

The 2-door one may be worth more as they are becoming collectable/classic now, although it's hard to find one that's not rusty.

Engines can be changed, it's a Land Rover! The VM engines have a bad reputation, they are not great but speaking to someone who actually owned a couple of them they are OK & reliable if looked after.

I would add if its an auto then avoid it - I had a factory 300tdi auto, and it was slower than a slow thing on a slow day............it was also thirstier than a thirsty thing on a thirsty day..........

IMHO land rover diesels do not work well with auto boxes.

Jon

The 2-door one may be worth more as they are becoming collectable/classic now, although it's hard to find one that's not rusty.

Engines can be changed, it's a Land Rover! The VM engines have a bad reputation, they are not great but speaking to someone who actually owned a couple of them they are OK & reliable if looked after.

i think the 2 door he's looking at is also the later of the two, with the TDi, so double bubble.

Are you sure the 2 door is not an 1983? It has the wrong door tops for a 1993 2 door model. It should have the same wing mirrors as a 4 door RRC, although the rear windows look correct for age so it could be that the door has been replaced.

The bonnet has certainly been replaced at some point too.

• 3 weeks later...

The top photo is the '93 model, probably a Vogue judging by the wheels. Mine is registered late August of that year and has the 200 TDI engine (+ Manual Box ) which is a cracker as far as I'm concerned. Arguably the best diesel LR ever made, imho! I agree about the Automatic version however.

Auto TDi is a decent truck, just as quick as a manual (ask me how I know) and about as economical. We have a 300 TDi manual and my sister's is Auto, she gets better MPG and it's a lovely truck to drive. You can alter the shift points to taste on the TDi too which is nice.

Anyhoo, I find that the steel used in the '80s is better than the '93 model, the chassis will probbaly be better (assuming a similar background) and the body will be much better, with possibly an ali boot floor?

On an exposed hinge body the inner wings. sill and door posts are I think all black, concealed hinge onwards they ar eboddy coloured. This can help detect any bodywork.

Buy on condition, not age. Later cars have more toys and spares are a bit easier to find, but a solid 8'80s truck is stilla nice thing.

Oh yes, the '93 car wil have anti roll bars, so might handle better.