Freelander Lift Kits

hissing sid

Hi,

I"m considering fitting a 40mm lift kit to my Freelander. Do these kits have a detrimental affect on the handling, steering etc when driven quickly on the road?

I would fit 17" Alloys if I could afford them, but fitting these would surely affect top speed and economy? or would they?

Why do I want a Lift Kit? because I like the way the new Freelanders are much higher off the ground giving better ground clearance and forward vision.

Any advice would be welcome.

A larger rolling radius wheel will affect the mpg, especially if an auto, as you end up laboring the engine for longer when accelerating, requiring more throttle for the a same response, autos will have the gear changes in the wrong place to, which will have an effect on the economy and driving experience.

If cruising about you probably won't notice to much, but in town it can be a real pain....

Surely the size of alloys makes NO DIFFERENCE, it's the size of tyre you then fit to them that matters...

40mm lift will detrimentally affect handling/stability and more than likely your MPG and the lifespan of your driveshafts because of the increased working angle, everything is a trade-off, not saying it's a bad idea, just that there's a penalty for every modification.

Oh and you'll need to tell the insurance co as well.

I was answering this:

I would fit 17" Alloys if I could afford them, but fitting these would surely affect top speed and economy? or would they?

And being lifted 40mm will affect MPG because the car is higher up = less aerodynamic (why most cars are low down & have lots of trim underneath to smooth the airflow). It'll be worse if you do a lot of motorway driving. How much it will really affect things I don't know, could be 1%, could be 10%.

I was answering this:

And being lifted 40mm will affect MPG because the car is higher up = less aerodynamic (why most cars are low down & have lots of trim underneath to smooth the airflow). It'll be worse if you do a lot of motorway driving. How much it will really affect things I don't know, could be 1%, could be 10%.

:hysterical:

example...

land rover-12inch ground clearance= 25-33mpg

Ferrari's-2inch ground clearance=<10mpg

higher ground clearance= better mpg :moglite:

but being serious, i dont believe what you said. :unsure: i think its just a theory.

sorry ff, so yes alloys compared to steels should increase MPG due to lower weight.

:hysterical:

example...

land rover-12inch ground clearance= 25-33mpg

Ferrari's-2inch ground clearance=<10mpg

higher ground clearance= better mpg :moglite:

but being serious, i dont believe what you said. :unsure: i think its just a theory.

This is pretty well researched/proven so I'm surprised you doubt it. The whole reason a ferrari is so close to the ground is to reduce drag at high speeds. It's that drag that causes lower MPG (all else being equal).

http://www.ijest.info/docs/IJEST10-02-07-40.pdf

I"m really glad I started this forum because I"ve learnt things I knew nothing about.

So what your really saying is: Don"t fit a Lift Kit for road use?

If that"s the case: Has anyone any 16" or 17" Alloys For Sale that will fit my Freelander TD4 S which has the bigger brake calipers.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...