least problematic upgrade

My 1986 c PLATE 2.5 petrol needs a new gearbox (lt77) and I would like to fit a TDI enigne.

Theres 1000's of threads all over the net about it but I wanted the respected opinion of guys here

Is it easier to recon the lt77 and stick in a 200 or 300 tdi defender engine ?

Or could i upgrade the box to the later R380 ? (not sure what its called).

I know discovery tdi engines are cheaper but i understand it needs a lot more work.

Or is it better jsut to flog the 90 petrol pickup and buy a tdi ? any idea when the more newer gearbox;s came in ?

The LT77 is paired with the 200tdi but not the 300tdi so you would need special bell housing which I understand is expensive and in short supply.

The R380 and 300tdi are paired together but not straight forwardly for your chassis IIRC.

To find a defender 200tdi you would be lucky and it would be pricey in comparison to the disco engine which is easily available.

My best advice is to look for a disco 200tdi with gearbox attached.

The transfer boxes have different ratios so check which ratio you want before changing that bit.

Also I am not sure how engine mounts compare between petrol and diesel as my advice above assumed incorrectly you were swapping n/a diesel for TDI.

LT77 will bolt straight onto a 300 but you will need to make an engine mount for the right hand side, plans for which are in the tech archive :)

It's the short R380 to replace an LT77 that is expensive and hard to source :)

Your most straight forward option is a cheap and cheerful disco 200 engine and get your LT77 reconned at Ashcrofts.

HTH

Mo

If you get a Disco 200tdi it's easy enough to mod. the flywheel housing. You only have to tap a couple of holes (pilot holes are already there), counterbore the holes at the bottom to take cap head bolts to secure the housing to the ladder frame, and swap over a couple of studs. You don't even have to take it off the engine. Half an hour at the most.

Exhaust downpipe takes a bit longer though, unless you buy a "special".

I see you're not that far away and can recommend a Land Rover gearbox reconditioners a bit nearer - R Whitehouse & Son on Halfpenny Green airport business park - 01384 221304. I've been very pleased with the work they've done for me.

There isn't much more work involved in fitting the disco engine, just need to make or buy the right downpipe, drill & tap a couple of holes for the bellhousing, move the clutch pipe over a bit. You'll have a couple of other things to think about as well being a petrol conversion I guess - fuel hoses/filter/return for one, maybe wiring too, but nothing taxing.

snapback.pngUdderlyOffroad, on 27 October 2011 - 10:10 PM, said:

Or just keep the flywheel housing from your 2.5 petrol. I have!

Matt

Fair enough. Many seem to do it this way without problems, but my thinking is that the four bolts into the ladder frame are there for a purpose. Manufacturers don't usually add un needed fixings. Anyway, I wanted to keep my old engine complete.