roof racks......ideas please

gelf

would like a S/D roof rack for my D1.... but they are way to much money.

anyone got any piccies of others..... need to follow the roof line...... not high at the front end.

also any home made ones??

cheers

graham

I personally think the SD ones are carp, dodgey coatings and outdated design compared to some of the alloy ones on the market.

There is a Hannibal one 2nd hand in the latest LRM.

Much prefer the flat alloy ones like the Hannibal and other outh African designed ones, not cheap but good.

Each to their own.

my advice is dont if you play offroad anywhere with trees, i did this a few years ago just crawling down a track. one leg of the roofrack went through an alpine light. december in wales isnt the time for large holes in the roof idealy.

54447.jpg

my advice is dont if you play offroad anywhere with trees, i did this a few years ago just crawling down a track. one leg of the roofrack went through an alpine light. december in wales isnt the time for large holes in the roof idealy.

54447.jpg

I had a full length galv Brownchurch rack on my 110 up until recently (yes, yes, I know it's not a Disco, but bear with me!)

Apart from the height issue, I never had any probs with trees - in fact I used to use the rack as a tree "slider" - it was strong enough that once you got the nose of the rack past the tree/rock/bank etc it would happily support the vehicle when over at an angle. I think from an asthetic point of view though that the Brownchurch racks don't really suit a Disco - much prefer the looks of the SD rack, but obviously not as strong.

Just my 2p worth!

Matt

yeah they work well as tree sliders right till you realise that it didnt fit under that last branch...

it was fitted for two years before that, but went soon after as i only used it to hang spottlights on anyway

• 3 weeks later...
I have OE disco roof rack half length type one and use it as a tree slider...

I have had branches pope my Alpine lights !!!

now I use the rack as protection and up till now it has worked very well !

bought it 2nd hand for £35

Hi there.. nice to see another disc on here..

Have you got any photo's of your D1 with roofrack on?

Regards

Lawrence

• 2 weeks later...

54447.jpg

Sorry mate..... I tried not to laugh but in the end I just couldn't help myself. :hysterical:

bet you weren't laffing as much as we all where at the time! that was 100yrds down the 1st lane of a whole wkends playing. amusing thing is, the plastic we stuck over it was there for about 4 months till a mate of mine got round to making metal alpine lights. never broke an aliminium window yet...

• 2 weeks later...