90 fuse panel question

After having a niggling on off problem with the lights on the driver’s side of my 90 I have tracked it down it’s the connection at the rear of the fuse panel and when you put the fuse cover on and screw it closed the lights go out sometimes then you undo it again and the light are fine!!!

One of the two wires that are piggy backed together and connect to rear of the side/head light fuse is snapped or just in the process of snapping, now that’s just sneaky :angry:!

So cover on, wire bent=no lights on drivers side.

Cover off, wire straightened out a bit=lights on!

My question is: what the best repair is? As I don’t think you can re-crimp the piggy-back connectors at the rear of the fuse holder?

Anyone got round this and how?

Help as ever welcome

Cheers

J

I'd agree with Ralph, I replaced my fuses with flat blade ones. I used the old mounting plate, i just made the holes bigger where the original holders where and managed to slot in 2 standard fuse holders (minus the protector top thing). works a dream, need a bit of patience and need to be very consistant in transfering the wires over so you don't get anything mixed up. I soldered and heat shrinked all mine.

post-20087-0-22357500-1320001021_thumb.jpg

How about changing the whole dash loom for one with the blade fuses ?

It means taking the whole dash apart, but for my money it's just a plug in and no soldering. I picked up a loom from a K plate 90 to go in mine when time allows. I am also going to take advantage of the intermittent wipe feature while I upgrade.

Mine has some random wires in there, which need to come out as I had to make some repairs when the lights went out.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a new fuse box from Autosparks in Sandiacre-near Derby, they sorted me out a new fuse box and all of the connectors for it for less than £20-obviously if you have to get it delivered the price will be a tad more, It took me an hour of taking my time changing all of the existing connectors over by tinning the wires,crimping the connectors to the wiring and then soldering the connector to the wiring, and now I do not have any loose connectors in my fuse box, i did have the same problem as you lights off or on depending if it felt like working or not-wipers working or not ditto as before you can change the old glass fuse box over to accept the newer blade type fuses