Steering Moans!!!

Hi, I've just bought a 52 plate 110 and I am having problems with the steering which is making a load moaning noise. It is far.... worse when I turn left rather than right...... anyone got any ideas as I've been struggling with this for the last month and I am quickly running out of WD40!! Thanks.........attachment=39197:LR.jpg

Slack belt will cause a squeal, and not a groaning noise (usually on full lock or when the engine is cold).

Fluid level usually makes a squishing noise as air is circulated through the pump.

A groaning noise can be caused by over-tightness/ partial siezure somewhere, such as ball joints, railko bush, etc, or worn bearings. This type of noise generally tends to cause vibration somewhere, which usually can be felt and used as a means to locate the problem. If you can get someone else to operate the steering, while you crawl about under neath, then touch various parts of the steering system - starting at the pump, then box, then tre's, etc, etc - there's a likelyhood that you'll locate where the noise is coming from.

Les.

My 2001 90TD5 has from new occasionally made a "mooing" noise when steering at low speeds: usually when reversing into a car-park space.

I consider this an endearing quirk, rather than something to fret about.

--Tanuki.

"Open your wallet and repeat after me - 'Help Yourself'."

Mine does this too. It is only ever noticeable when twirling the wheel at parking speeds and 'moaning' or 'mooing' describes it well. I think it is probably a bush or bearing somewhere in the steering column but it has got neither worse nor better in 4 years of ownership (all belts and fluids are per spec). So, for as long as the steering remains as good as it continues to be I'm not planning on spending time to track down the cause.

(And by way of reassurance I've had to replace a ball joint this year and started looking for the cause because the steering was starting to wander.)

When I got those "cowish moans" I found out that there was a leak on the hose that connected to the Steering pump. I changed the hose and 2 days afterwards, realised the truck was "peeing" all over the place. SWMBO alerted me and further research showed that the steering pump was leaking like wild honey :huh: .. I changed the pump and it is crack dry over the whole area!!!

If this isn't the cause, do listen to the adults above :glare:

Try greasing the universal joints in the section of steering column which you'll see in the engine compartment. I have an '02 110 and this cured a groaning noise from the steering when manoeuvring.

Phil.