Wiring has me puzzled.

oap

I have two work lights on the back of my 110 which I wired in myself a few years ago. They are run direct from the battery through a relay,fuse and switch in the cab then back to the lights. Recently one of them has stoped working and I have spent a few hours tring to fix it but I am stumped as to what is wrong, hopefully its something obvious and some of the experts on here will be good enough to help me out.

Its not the bulb or the switch on the lamp itself because when I change them around with the other side it works fine. I have put a volt meter on the wires to both lamps and they read the same,

Switch in cab off - 0 volts

Switch in cab on - 12.3 volts

Engine on switch in cab on - 14.3 volts

I think thats about what they should read when all is in order but yet when I plug the lamp in (that I know is working) on the left hand side I get nothing.

It has me beaten anyway and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

It sounds like you have some resistance in there. It is very deceptive as "off load" it will appear fine, however, the moment you put any significamnt load on it (e.g.a lamp) the resistance will drop the voltage to virtually zero. I would retrace the wiring and check and double check all connections on both the feed and earth sides.

Cheers

Peter

when you swap the wiring, do you swap the earth aswell..??? dodgy earth on the one not working perhaps..??

Yes they run with two different earths, if that is the problem surely the volt meter would have not worked either on that side? When I take the probe off the earth wire it shows no volts

It sounds like you have some resistance in there. It is very deceptive as "off load" it will appear fine, however, the moment you put any significamnt load on it (e.g.a lamp) the resistance will drop the voltage to virtually zero. I would retrace the wiring and check and double check all connections on both the feed and earth sides.

Cheers

Peter

Thats what I was afraid someone would suggest because I ran all the wires through a conduit and stupidly used all black wire so I wont know what is what at the other side. I bet your right though.

Thanks OAP

take the light apart and look at the back of the bowl, this is common on tractor spotlights, its usually the area of contact between the bulb and bowl is rusty or something similar, clean it up, nice and shiney, reattach bulb, spray with PTFE containing oil and it should last a bit better then.

check the resistiance down the wire not the voltage. this should show your faulty wires.

I would do this if I knew how, I looked at any joints that I can see today but still not fixed. I plan to rip everything out and start from scratch in the morning.

I have a good volt meter but I have a very basic understanding of how it all works. I will put some pics up in the morning anyway, just as a lesson on how not to wire stuff.

I would do this if I knew how, I looked at any joints that I can see today but still not fixed. I plan to rip everything out and start from scratch in the morning.

I have a good volt meter but I have a very basic understanding of how it all works. I will put some pics up in the morning anyway, just as a lesson on how not to wire stuff.

That's what you do when you use a test lamp