LADOGA TROPHY 2012 -Registration open-

myllis

The sixteenth “Ladoga” : it is already possible!

The registration of participants for the international trophy-raid “Ladoga” starts on the 1st of November. From May 26th till June 3rd 2012, the most world popular off-road adventure will round Ladoga lake in the sixteenth time.

Certainly, this massive event may be called the largest, the longest, the hardest and the most long awaited affair among 4x4-lovers in Russia. Dunes of the Ladoga Lake, the Stone-pit, Moraine lakes, Kulismaioki waterfalls, Petsevara hills, Ruskeala's marble quarry... 1200km for 9 days around one of the most beautiful lakes in our country.

The uniqueness of the trophy-raid “Ladoga” is that anyone can chose oneself the most interesting scoring category – the competition unites eleven scoring groups. Ones, who want the tough battle, where each second values, compete in Sport groups like TR1, TR2, TR3, PROTO, ATV, SSV. Those, who want to enjoy tranquil “touristic” way of competition, declare to Adventure and Adventure-open. Admirers of journeys and adventures participate in the group Grand Tourism. And those, who don't feel like racing in sport or touristic categories, may join “the group of organized spectators” - Discovery. It is no coincidence that “Ladoga-trophy” is the most massive trophy-raid in Russia, and the most numerous in the world.

Every year “Ladoga” improves, there appear new routes and scoring groups. In fact, the scoring championship Ladoga Team Spirit first time took place in 2011. This year the battle will go on, but some rules will change. From now on, the team consists of three crews, declared to any scoring group (except Discovery). Results of all crews will be considered in the championship Team Spirit.

Organizers and participants, who have been raced for many years, admit, that last year was “the most dry” “Ladoga” since the race was founded. Soon we'll find out, what will be the most memorable about “Ladoga 2012”. The preparation to the legendary marathon has started.

Details and registration are accessible on the official web-site http://www.ladoga-tr...nglish/news.php

'cos it took me a moment to find it, rules & regs here:

http://www.ladoga-tr...sh/document.php

And for those wondering about the classes:

post-21-0-98025600-1320420788_thumb.png

TR1: Production 4x4 vehicle, straight axles, lockers allowed, 30mm suspension lift, no beadlocks, 1 front winch only, cage allowed

TR2: Production 4x4 vehicle, says "axles with reducers" are allowed, not 100% sure if this means portals, lockers allowed, CTIS allowed, beadlocks allowed, body lift allowed, 2 winches, cage allowed

TR3: Scratch-built allowed, must have doors, 2 seats, basic minimum stuff for being road-legal, everything else unlimited.

Proto: As TR3 but 1043mm tyre limit.

• 3 weeks later...

What sort of budget do you need to compete in this event ?

I would count on a good £3k, breaking down in £1k ferries, about £800 entry fee, and the rest in fuel, food and beer...

This is based on 1 car, driven there on the road, competing and -who knows- drive it back as well! :ph34r:

It is good value for 8 days of hardcore offroading, and you wont regret spending it, all I can say make sure you have a car that lasts the 8 days.

On a different note, I noticed tr2 and tr3 now share the same tyre size.

Daan

General-confusion: Daan's budget sounds about right, it's a steep learning curve if you've not been outside UK events, and Russia is a very different place as well. You need to look carefully at the classes and at your vehicle and make sure one fits the other. Oh yes - it will probably be the most fun and hardest thing you'll ever do with your truck.

Daan - I thought it was always that TR2/3 the sizes were the same but TR3 are allowed portals?

if you taking a trailer then your budget for ferries is way out - would count on more like 2k

went to Finland about a month ago - nearly spat my lungs upon hearing the price, thankfully it was payed for by the company

Must be quite hard when you have no sponsors and every cost is going out from your own pocket - as well as buiding a race car

Hat down to all the little non sponsored people who manage to get out to foreign competitions :i-m_so_happy:

if you taking a trailer then your budget for ferries is way out - would count on more like 2k

went to Finland about a month ago - nearly spat my lungs upon hearing the price, thankfully it was payed for by the company

Must be quite hard when you have no sponsors and every cost is going out from your own pocket - as well as buiding a race car

Hat down to all the little non sponsored people who manage to get out to foreign competitions :i-m_so_happy:

That was -and is- the main reason not to use a trailer for me. it almost doubles the price, since you are probably going to use double the fuel as well. Also, if you want to use the trailer and tow truck during the event, you need someone else driving it for you, and another entry fee (I think). If not, you will need to find a safe place to park it while you are competing, or it wont be there anymore when you finish. Al that means at least another person to add to the mix.

Another problem is the time you need to do it; it takes 3 days non stop to get there, and back as well, you probably want to spend a few days in St. petersburg and 8 days competing- thats 3 weeks gone by, which if you are self employed like me, means not getting payd. Also, if you are going with 3 people, to get them all to take 3 weeks off is a tall order. But you can have people flying in to make it more viable.

Al this means I wont be doing it antime soon, but in terms of competition, it is the best one I have done.

Daan

Support trucks pay a reduced rate to cover camping. There's some rules around numbers of support trucks - you can have 2 or 3 which are stickered up and allowed into stage if needed, others tagging along are allowed to camp but not on mercy missions.

Be aware you'll need the registration docs for the trailer as well, nothing gets very far without papers & rubber stamps over there.

If you can drive out, compete, and drive all the way home again under your own steam then you're doing very well - not very many people have managed it. Having support crew along with a 2nd car, if only to lighten the load and make the coffee, is a godsend.

Yes, we're taking Mouse next year. It's time she gets used again for the stuff she was built for.

Quentin's RRC will be chase car, it's third tour already!

We have high hopes for a Defender 90 to do camp support and Michel is thinking about taking the D3 G4 back into Grand Tourism as well (which means the big Disco can pull the trailer to St Pete's :i-m_so_happy: ).

As for budget, the past three years we've always managed to cope with around €1000/person, all included and with little or no sponsoring. As said, support is (a lot!) cheaper than sports class. In 2008 we took 2 trailers on the ferry, but still managed to keep budget within reason.

We usually don't linger about much, so make it back in just over 2 weeks.

Greetz,

Filip

Belgian Collective :)

I spent a little over 3.5k to do tr1. without the support of fridge and the hofs crew i think i would have been screwed.

And as fridge has allready said, read the class rules very thoroughly, otherwise the organisers will "promote" you to a higher class.

And echoing Daan, my experiances out there have set the bar against every bit of offroading i will probably ever do. nothing since has come close.

Couldn't agree more (and I'm sure the rest of the Belgian Collective agrees), Ladoga Trophy is a unique experience that gives you a totally different view on offroading.

And good support is vital, sometimes literally a matter of survival...

• 5 months later...