Ashcrfot CVs

JST

I'd use EP90 if I could.

You can easily spot leaks and therefore know that water is getting in. Easy to top up, same as in axle so no problem with cross contamination.

Only thing going for grease is that the bearings seem to last longer and less prone to leak out of swivel seal.

Cheers

Steve

I use 1 shot grease, have just had mine to bits to check over as Dave recommended all is well so repacked with 1 shot and will check again in 6 months time.

I think the shock loading is better with grease than oil.

Peter

I use 1 shot grease, have just had mine to bits to check over as Dave recommended all is well so repacked with 1 shot and will check again in 6 months time.

I think the shock loading is better with grease than oil.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was about to say a similar thing,

the CV's now come grease filled from new and we would suggest also fitting them with '1 shot' for good measure.

I have looked into the grease / oil debate and the manufacturer clearly prefers grease due to improved shock loading abilities. One of the better CV greases available in the UK is made by Morris, called 'K48',

Would have to agree,

Every CV joint that I have ever seen on any car other than a landrover has been lubricated by Graphite grease, Oil is just the lazy get-out used before landrover thought of seals. although it does make getting it in and checking easier.

I have always packed my CVs with Graphite grease and then poured 1/4 litre of EP90 into the housing (makes for a very sticky mess if you need to open the swivels though) just to make sure that when the grease gets thrown out, it runs back in properly and gets to the swivel bearings too.

After deep wading I remove the lower swivel pin, drain out oil and re-fill with 1/4 litre of EP90 if all was clean (read black)

If I had water ingress then all comes off and re-pack with Graphite etc.

Never had a CV fail ever ever! (using Ashcroft now just in case) although have cracked a few other manufacturers centre cages on inspection!

Lara.

I've used EP90 on mine just to make life easy and I'm now looking to change as my CVs have developed tight spots. I'm now looking at using Morris grease and I'm looking at a few differant options for totally filling the hub and swivel.

Unless specified by the manufacturer I would always use CV grease with a CV joint - MS3, Molybdenum Disulphide, are all greases suitable for this type of joint as far as I'm aware. Some greases settle out if left to stand for a long time, but I doubt this would be an issue, and it seems to readily re-mix in a very short space of time.

Les. :)