Adrian and Pauls new truck

Hi thanks for the offer , but am intending to stay with the 530D active mount system , ditching the alloy supports and modding the chassis with brackets for them .

Do you know anyone who has a laser scanner for use in designing the bell housing modification I intend. Sticking the engine onto the lt85 in standard 110 location looks to be a goer from trial fit . :i-m_so_happy:

Lazer scanner - you mean a Faro arm or equivalent? Not yet but I am buying one for work..... It will be the business for scanning in engines/gearboxes etc into solid works..

Tacr2man,

The earlier dde4 ecu doesn't. Later cars do as the engine map is changed depending on the gear ratio. Hence people either fit after market scud to later engines, or use an earlier (pre 2004 I think) engine that u can use the BMW ecu.

Adrian

Tacr2man,

The earlier dde4 ecu doesn't. Later cars do as the engine map is changed depending on the gear ratio. Hence people either fit after market scud to later engines, or use an earlier (pre 2004 I think) engine that u can use the BMW ecu.

Adrian

Mines the earlier so thats good . rally raid do a harness that allows engine to operate , whereas Jeremy Fearn mods the ecu and ews , is there any advantage to either ? or does one not require what the other does ? hope you dont mind me picking your brains ?

" Only issue with this is that the air box has a plastic air line across to the inlet manifold" is this at the bottom edge of the air box , and then goes upto the manifolds as a square moulding in the base of the airbox at the rear .?

Tacr2man,

Jeremy Fean will give you a pin in and out diagram so you can make up a wiring loom. I bought a loom from rally raid UK. About £250 I think. You just connect up the BMW engine loom, injector loom, ecu and the rally raid Uk loom. Connect the live, earth and ignition. Then your good to go. Not done it yet though...

ECU and SWS - you need them moding to stop them looking for the car key. Jeremy Fearn did this for me.

Air box - I dremeled the air box off the engine. It isn't water tight, so I will make up a seperate air filter housing. Apparently still use the BMW air filter. It has the appropritae rating for the engine, can take loads of sand with out affecting perfomance etc.

Air line to inlet manifold?? Might have missed that in a dremel fueled session of madness!

Adrian

"Air line to inlet manifold?? Might have missed that in a dremel fueled session of madness!"

Its the circa 25mm bore pipe that comes off the bottom edge of the airbox moulding , and then connects to elbow on turbo inlet hose , its for pcv I believe

there looks like a hollow channel moulded into bottom edge of airbox and that terminates near a square moulding at rightangles that leads to cam cover at the rear end of airbox floor ? hope that makes sense ?

• 1 month later...

Well ordered the Rallyraid UK loom , this takes care of the ecu and SWS as well so they say . Still waiting on some machining tho :ph34r: but its looking very promising at the moment . TD5 rad ans intercooler has been test fitted with all the modded bracketry , and removed to avoid damage when the engine is test fitted for fabbing up the necessary chassis brackets for the BMW active engine mounts . The flywheel with clutch and release system , and adapter for clutch pipe is assembled to engine.

Hows yours progressing ?

• 1 month later...

Bit more of an update , well the customised bell housing has joined the M57 to the front of my LT85 , thats been the big delay getting the work done by machine shops !!! . I have just connected it all up ,there is just enough room length wise to drop the engine in between the front cross member and the front of the gearbox primary shaft, with the lt85 in its normal position. When bolted up there is about a 125mm gap. The big discovery was that the standard BMW 530d aircon pump wants to be in the space that the steering box occupies .So thats the next headache thinking where I am going to mount the aircon pump as Ive got used to having that extra bit of comfort in the 110. Tomorrow will be measuring and designing the engine mounts to weld to the chassis , as I want to keep the BMW active mounts . Looking back at your pics you have mounted the engine way back so obviously you wont have had the same problem . Still making progress now , thank goodness :i-m_so_happy: .

Bit more of an update , well the customised bell housing has joined the M57 to the front of my LT85 , thats been the big delay getting the work done by machine shops !!! . I have just connected it all up ,there is just enough room length wise to drop the engine in between the front cross member and the front of the gearbox primary shaft, with the lt85 in its normal position. When bolted up there is about a 125mm gap. The big discovery was that the standard BMW 530d aircon pump wants to be in the space that the steering box occupies .So thats the next headache thinking where I am going to mount the aircon pump as Ive got used to having that extra bit of comfort in the 110. Tomorrow will be measuring and designing the engine mounts to weld to the chassis , as I want to keep the BMW active mounts . Looking back at your pics you have mounted the engine way back so obviously you wont have had the same problem . Still making progress now , thank goodness :i-m_so_happy: .

Time for a dedicated build thread methinks...

Daan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am thinking of doing the same engine swap to my 90. Thankfully a friend of mine can do easilly the ecu work. He has done all my BMW swaps with no problem whatsoever so no worries there. My only concern is the gearbox. Obviously I cannot buy or fix such a specialized gearbox as the one described over here. Will the BMW gearbox work with the LT230 transfer box

Hi, most things can be made to fit eventually , but bmw box to lt230 would not be straight forward . The quaestion as well is if the box will handle it , as using in a landrover is a lot more harsh existence than in a saloon on the highway.

Where is "here" , as you dont actually say. Waht model ( engine) 90 do you have with which box ?

I am using the lt85 as originally fitted in my 110 ,I have started another thread about the conversion .

I think the bmw used the ZF box for an automatic, so that should be easy to do. Other wise, use the BMW rear wheel drive box and run the LT 230 remote, with a propshaft in between. You probably have to move the 230 backwards to do this, so packaging wise it is not ideal. But for sure it can be done

The p38 manual used the R380 so a mod of that should be reasonably easy to get the lt230 connected up . probably a input shaft shaft change on a defender r380 and bolt to the p38 bellhousing . You would use the m51 as in p38 clutch and dmf . HTSH

ps the r380 would be better if l or k suffix and run with an oil cooler Ashcroft can do the required

(usual disclaimers re Ashcroft)

• 2 years later...