Fitting an auto-reverse hitch to non auto trailer?

muddy

Evening all, a mate has just brought me his flat bed 'ifor' style trailer to re commision.

The hitch was old bent bradley one, i have replaced that with a supplied KNOTT hitch as fitted to the modern trailers. However this hitch is designed to work with autoreverse brakes which AFAIK the trailer does not have.

So has anyone done this before and or anyideas how to get round it short of new brakes (new axles in reality) as this is just not cost effective.

Thanks, Will.

Maybe the rubber boot will have to go and an old style half pipe-on-a-hinge made to fill the movement of the slide?

I've threatened a ram operated by the reverse light switch to hold off the brakes, but never tried it. Could be better than autoreverse, as long as it didn't go all icky at a traffic island ?

Thanks, having a closer look today it has a slot in the top that is just behind the 'ram' that pushes back so i might make something to drop in there otherwise i think it will be an old style half-pipe although i dont want to lose the rubber if i can help it.

Spent 6hours today trying to split wheel and drum before splitting the wheel to remove tyre, then an hour in the truck place with a counter full of studs, need 20 new studs and wheel nuts along with 20 new split rim bolts, yay :mellow:

Will.