Strange indicator issues, help needed please!

Gravy

Hi everyone,

I am having some troubles with my indicators in my County and was wondering if someone might be able to help.

When I move the stalk to indicate right, I get normal flashing, all 3 lights work but no light on the dash. When I indicate left I get permanent light on the dash, the flasher buzzes like crazy and no lights come on. When I turned the hazards on, I get normal flash speed but only get lights on the right and none on the left :-/

I have replaced the hazard switch but this made no progress. I have tried bypassing the switch and stalk, as explained in another thread, by linking out behind the hazard switch but still have nothing on the left hand side. All the bulbs seem good and if I meter between the hazard socket an earth, it appears to get a connection albeit at a higher resistance than the right :-[

The fuse is good, the stalk meters ok and nothing appears to be loose. This problem seems to have come about since I fitted my mud dash, but can't think what might have caused it. Can anyone suggest any further investigation angles or things to test as I'm running short of ideas!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have not tried another flasher unit yet. I guessed as the right side worked, it would be ok, or is each side go through a separate part of the relay?

As for an earthing fault, I will get the multimeter out and test them all.

Cheers

The voltage dropped across a resistance (bad connection in this case) is proportional to the current flow. So in the case of a test meter where a tiny tiny current is flowing there is only a very small voltage dropped. A test lamp requires far more current to light up so will make the poor connection obvious by not lighting or glowing dimly as the voltage is dropped across the poor connection.

You use the test lamp by connecting one side to a good +12v and the the other to the earth you are trying to test. If you need to test a positive wire connect one side to a known good earth.