Challenge Events : Help !

Hybrid_From_Hell

Ideas please peeps !

I have already raised this within a thread, but thought that I may get more ideas and a better response by having it as a proper post on its own...

Now the 90 is nearing the final mods, my thouyghts have turned to doing (as opposed to running and marshalling) at Challeneges.

Problem , especially with the ones further away, is I don't really wnat to drive it there, and then blow it up and be starnded miles from home wondering and getting stressed as to how to get it back, and no, the AA whilst its an option (and I have it for that reason) is not really one that I would be 100% comfortable with !

Pete (bathtub) mentioned a Ford Cargo...had also thought about hiring a 7.5 tonner etc and then shoving the 90 on the load bay, ....but how to get it up there that was in my mind always the prob... ? :huh:

AA yep, I have AA cover, but don't really wnat the 'ag factor',

I just wnat to know I have the means myself of getting it there and getting it back, :D

I'm happy to pay...after all as with Andy Moglite, he's bought a truck to use, so he "Paid" to have transport, where as I may have to "Pay" to have it shunted about....

Any one have any ideas, any forumeers have siutable trucks / trail;lers or part therreof who would fancy doing this for some money ??..

If it helps I am South of Guildford Surrey about 20 miles.

Either PM me or Post,

Discuss !

Nige

Nige

had also thought about hiring a 7.5 tonner etc and then shoving the 90 on the load bay, ....but how to get it up there that was in my mind always the prob... ?

The simmbuggini I sometimes crew for gets transported round in the back of a 7.5T truck, couple of long ramps sees it in and out no problem. Room for spares, tools, etc too.

"Some Long Ramps"...

Jeeez, what the heck do these look like, can't see any 90 (yes I know ESP MINE yeah yeah yeah), making it up 2x scaffold boards ??

Any detail ?

Nige

Speak to Andy (Moglite) he has just bought a 7.5 ton Layland Daf car transporter truck for not too much money. Nice bit of kit and ideal for the job

Nige,

Hiring is one solution, Guildford Trailer Hire do car transporter trailers approx £120 per week. Problem is you still need a tow vehicle and really something of the size of a Rangie or Disco to keep it legal.

Truck hire again possible but as you have pointed out the lengh of the ramps is daunting.

Some recovery companies advertise on E Bay for collection and delivery work maybe try them.

Dave

Ali,
Speak to Andy (Moglite) he has just bought a 7.5 ton Layland Daf car transporter truck for not too much money. Nice bit of kit and ideal for the job

Yes I know he has, but I would never get away with this with SWMBO, !!

Nige

:lol::lol::lol:

Nor did he

I had to make up the spare bed at my house when he came home with it just in case, he became homeless :lol:

Nige the trailer hire is an option, you could tow with the Merc it is big enough probably. I may have access to a trailer at times as well but not all the time. Get a friendly mechanic to help you on site, preferably one who works somewhere with a transporter.

My missus saw her Rangie on the back of my truck, when I bought it home.

2c76ad17.jpg

When she realised her car wasn't broken, she was relieved.....

But I'd been to collect it with my mate who has dogs, when she realised I didn't bring home a puppy, she just didn't care about the truck at all - I could have introduced my girlfriend, and she wouldn't have batted an eyelid !!

For the record 7.5 tonners are a great concept, but the insurance is high - I pay about £650 as I have no commercial NCB.

Most recovery trucks are worked within an inch of their lives, and have never been MOTd

Most recovery trucks are either 30' long cargos beaten to death by the AA and the like on motorway work, or little 3.5tonners used for in town stuff.

Small'ish 7.5 tonners like mine are rare IMHO.

I would have liked a doublecab, but they were all knackered and had 20'+ beds making them too difficult to move in my yard.

Nige - my truck has to earn its keep, and as MogLite won't be doing any comps for about the next 6 months, we may be able to come to a temporary arrangement ;) Give me a call.

"Some Long Ramps"...

Jeeez, what the heck do these look like, can't see any 90 (yes I know ESP MINE yeah yeah yeah), making it up 2x scaffold boards ??

Any detail ?

Nige

From memory the ramps are each two bits of box approx 100mm x 50mm with the long side vertical and cross peices of box/angle welded in across the bottom to make a ladder, but as the sides are quite tall and the cross peices are at the bottom they form a trough for the tyres to sit in, making loading/unloading easier and safer, especially if you're on yer own. IIRC the front and rear wheels both fit on the ramps at the same time, ie they are longer than the wheel base. All in all they are quite substantial bit's of kit, sort of thing you might knock up ;)

The pic is of a lorry that used to be used in the week for transporting potatoes the Tomcat is Chris's from Kent.

The back doors wont quite shut with 2 vehicles on the lorry.

I have seen people turn up at Tommys with their vehicl in a tipper lorry.

So find a mate who has some form of haulage/hgv connections.

I have a disco to pull my trailer when I travel an distance now I just need a reliable trailer.

What has not been said, is that Paul, the owner of that truck, spent nearly £85

Each way to get those vehicles to that event at seven sisiters......! (He lives in Kent),

Include in that the fuel of the van that also went....

And you are not looking at a cheap option....

Paul Wightman, He's got best idea, Big Power transit and 16ft trailer

It's ironic, We are off to the Bulldog at the end of the month...

Three of us from down south going up, I will be using my 196bhp Td5 def....

And will be the slowest in the convoy ..!

Paul's new van will tow better, as will Simons Nivera (Thing)

Amazing how far diesels have progressed......

Trailer is still the cheapest option Nige... Just be careful of trailer weights.

Jim :)

What about a skip truck?

There was one at one of the JBS events which just lifted the 90 by the cage on to the back - like it was a skip!

Very neat I thought!

Otherwise, buy a trailer. Many events are 2 vehicle so take it in turns which one tows and which goes on the trailer.

Last sugestion - a giant catapult?

Si

Another alternative is a small(ish) 7.5ton horse lorry, it will already have a sensible ramp to drive up, pleanty of room for spares above the cab, and a nice dry space at luchtime. There are normally several in the free-ad papers, and are generally quite reasonable with not too many miles on the clock.

For the Argyll I went into the local Ford dealer and asked for a Transit demonstrator with a tow hitch for the weekend........... took it back with another thousand miles on the clock!

To be honest I had ordered a medium wheelbase medium roof Transit with the new 137 ps 375 nm engine and six speed gearbox. The loan vehicle was a 115 ps five speed which was amazing, fast (average 57 mph from Horsham (West Sussex) to Argyll, 475 miles, 22 to the gallon) quiet and very comfortable.

Perhaps not the cheapest option but I can justify it through the business and I deserved a treat!